Commitment To Positivety

Gaffer

Hi Tugmistress,

Excuse me, but where have I ever said that disagreements will not be tolerated?

My actual words were: "People will do their best to get along and any/all disagreements, regardless of how big or small, will be conducted in a constructive and positive adult manner with no bitching, sniping or using foul language.

I have no objections to disagreements whatsoever, in fact disagreements are a good thing, especially when people respect each other and conduct themselves in the proper manner. We all learn from disagreements. However, if people want to 'rock the boat', I will lock or delete the thread and pass their name on to Elton.

Over the last week I have had over 30 Private Messages and emails asking for myself and/or other mods to look at, and deal with, posts on the Sea Fishing Forum. I have had only one other PM regarding one other problem on another forum.

Do I need or want this hastle, no, of course I don't. I will be honest though, after returning to the same thread 3 times to sort out the same people, late at night, I tend to (and have) pull the trigger a lot sooner than i normally would.

Out of interest, did you know that AnglersNet is available to children in schools? Let's be honest, the Sea Fishing Forum of late hasn't been a very good advert for sea fishing has it?

I hear what you are saying, I'm not comletely 'up my own', but you haven't seen/read all the PM's and emails I had from people, nor have you seen/read threads and posts that have been deleted.

Speaking from my own perspective, I've just about had enough of all this pathetic bitching, sniping and swearing, I don't need it, especially as all I do is purely voluntery.

So I may wear 'Rose tinted glasses' as you put it, but the whole picture isn't as black and white as you'd like it to be. ;)

Life's all about choices. ;)

ok, point 1. your choice of wording can be interpreted as as order quote "people will do their best..."

i for one have a free choice and am not about to be told what i can and can't think. that was and is my interpretation of your post.

point 2. people will always 'rock the boat' in verying degrees, some of what was deleted last night did not warrant this action.

point 3. yes i do know AN is available in schools, my own daughter has posted from her school in the past :)

point 4. no i haven't seen or read you personal emails and PM's, but yes i have seen and read the threads and posts that were deleted! i even posted on some of it!

point 5. life is never black and white, and where people don't all conform to the same idealogoy there will always be disagreements, arguements etc.

:)

Im glad im an angler, and actually have things to do on the weekend... Such as go fishing!

On second thaught, just how good was the squabble?? any handbags involved???

Hope you had a good weekend shaun :)

squabble was m,ostly mild until a certain person went ott with vulgarity and obscene language.

I agree with Gaffer, this forum is openly viewable by anyone and therefore should not have any arguing, bitching, sniping etc, all of this should be done via email or the private messenger built into this forum.

Disagreements, we have no problem with, as different people have different opinions, but when it gets into a slanging match and people start using foul language, and attacking people personally, thats when things are out of order.

Feel free to do it over PM or email. but not on the publically viewable forums where anyone can see it.

Gaffer is right in saying that theres been over 30 reports from this forum alone, and one from another forum. This is totally unacceptable and if it carrys on I will be taking measures to prevent it happening in future, which includes moderator preview of topics and/or posts and members getting suspended. All details will be passed onto Elton for him to make the final decision when he gets back.

as said above, though probably not very clearly, when people don't see eye to eye the conversation runs off track, no one will suddenly stop and think 'err hang on, i had better go and make this a private issue now' with a general arguement. sorry, but i am guilty of this too and i certainly don't, i just hit reply and post.

i do however thoroughly agree that foul language and personal attacks are not the way to go - especially the one that had been up for over an hour this morning that had been posted at about 7.32am! and in my opinion needed to be removed totally and also possibly a warning sent to the poster.

if topic review is under consideration, then that will ruin the forum, but if you feel it necessary to 'nanny' us then fair do's and that is your perogative. :)

Tuggs no one should have stand behind any one, as adaults it is up to us to show the way.

ST and myself had a very long debate a few nights ago, we went at it giving our points of view and everything posted could be read by anyone who browsed the thread without causing offence.

Apart from this the debate had substance, I did look at the thread which was closed and to be honest it was a load of nonsense and turned into a slagging match with some raw language to say the very least.

Just because it is done in adault time it does not proclude children.

I have to give the moderators full marks for the action took.

ken,

first line, yes i agree :)

very true on the second paragraph... this is the way to go.

which thread are you referring to, there were 3 threads on the one title topic, one was, in my opinion, going along the lines of yours and ST's debate and suddenly got locked and deleted..... not the right one to lock in my opinion, but what do i know ;)

very true about kids, they will view in theior own time :)

full marks to the mods when things get personal and foul language involved..... but when a decent discussion is going on....?

:)

I don't understand why these people aren't banned as a matter of course. They would soon get fed up with re-registering with a new e-mail address.

now that depends to whom you are referring...... if it is habitual ucsers of foul language and vulgarities and personal attacks, then yes i agree.

if it is to people that get into a heated debate... then why?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Tugmistress, ;)

ok, point 1. your choice of wording can be interpreted as as order quote "people will do their best..."

i for one have a free choice and am not about to be told what i can and can't think. that was and is my interpretation of your post.

Ok, I see your point, we're haggling over interpretation. ;)

I'll rephrase it slightly by adding a little;

"People will do their best to get along and any/all disagreements, regardless of how big or small, will be conducted in a constructive and positive adult manner with no bitching, sniping or using foul language, or their posts/threads will be locked or deleted!.

How's that? ;) So, basically you can think what you like, but posting it and it staying on the forum is a different matter entirely.

point 2. people will always 'rock the boat' in verying degrees, some of what was deleted last night did not warrant this action.:)

Read your post below. ;)

squabble was m,ostly mild until a certain person went ott with vulgarity and obscene language.

I rest my case your honour. :D

if topic review is under consideration, then that will ruin the forum, but if you feel it necessary to 'nanny' us then fair do's and that is your perogative. :)

Topic/post review will only be for the members that use vulgar language and make personal attacks. No-one else will be affected.

If we deem that a topic is going too far, or we have complaints, then we will do the necessary steps to bring it under control, failing that, the topic will be locked and/or deleted.

You are free to continue the dicussion either via PM or email, or if you feel that the topic was closed unfairly, then you`re free to PM the moderator/admin responsible to state why.

I`m all for free speech amd lively discussion, but some of the topics and posts of late have gone too far. If needs be, some of the topics can be resurrected and re-opened, but that will have to be a decision that the all staff make.

You are free to continue the dicussion either via PM or email, or if you feel that the topic was closed unfairly, then you`re free to PM the moderator/admin responsible to state why.

I`m all for free speech...

Well that's odd because my thread which was taken in the good humour that it was meant by the person I aimed it at was arbitrarily deleted and no explanation was given nor was the person deleting the thread made known to me - As a result I erroneously accused Newt of the action. However, I did ask why and still never got a response apart from a few mods denying that it was them???

Well that's odd because my thread which was taken in the good humour that it was meant by the person I aimed it at was arbitrarily deleted and no explanation was given nor was the person deleting the thread made known to me - As a result I erroneously accused Newt of the action. However, I did ask why and still never got a response apart from a few mods denying that it was them???

I'm not entirely sure whish thread it is that you are refering to, but I can categorically say, no thread, that I'm aware of, has been deleted or locked without the thread being reported to the mods by either a PM or an email. In other words, as far as I'm aware, all threads and posts that have been deleted or locked were reported to the mods using the 'Report' button.

Thereafter the mods then make a decision on what to do with the thread in question, whether that's edit, lock, move or delete.

Like I said, I'm not sure which thread you are refering to, but you have to remember that what maybe humourous to one person, maybe offensive to another. I hope that makes sense.

Like I said, I'm not sure which thread you are refering to, but you have to remember that what maybe humourous to one person, maybe offensive to another. I hope that makes sense.

It was the thread where I auctioned N4lly's sig on ebay - currently standing at 15p ;)

Not really sure how that could have been deemed offensive given that N4lly was joking about bidding for it on another thread?

Not really sure how that could have been deemed offensive given that N4lly was joking about bidding for it on another thread?

Dunno then, mate. :huh:

Guest Feels like Winter to me

Ill try me best. But if I recieve anymore of those patronising sniping Pm's everytime I post there is no gauruntee. I guess youll have to throw me to the lions. Have you put a black mark next to my name to start off the naughty boys list?

Edited by Feels like Winter to me