The Taste Of A Hook

Gaffer

Always thought that it was a salesman that latched onto the salt content of plastic, but there we go!

Re flavours, especially strawberry. I used to have an ice cream machine, put enough strawberry flavour in, it tasted great, put too much in and it tasted bitter. Moral of the story, don'y use too much flavour!

Pike blowing baits out, err, yes, seen in the margins. Sort of like nescessary, Budgie. But what is the signigicance of your comment? Don't you think that pike do it away from the margins?

Back to salt, it is a known flavour enhancer, but once again, too much much can smother a taste. But I do have a theory here, and it is only a theory. In tidal rivers fish keep above the salt line, so I'm guessing that the taste of salt also acts as a warning. But then pike seem to prefer the taste of sea fish to river fish. so okay, its a bum theory.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Peter I thought it was explained enough.My point about the margins was that if you could see the pike then they could see you! see what I was getting at? ie the fact that they have been spooked by seeing the angler rather than the feel of the hooks etc being the reason for ejecting the bait? I dont begin for one minute to sugest that they can mentally make a link between the bait they have just grabbed and the angler! merely that they feel threatened by the angler and eject the bait (or rather what they believe to be a meal) thus making it easier for them to escape any danger.Indeed as most animals do...even cormmorants eventualy!

Sadly despite the many hours Ive spent underwater,actually seeing pike pick up dead baits ,take lives (never witnessed a lure take from underwater though) I obviously havnt spent enough to confidently say wether pike do indeed eject baits (as we have been discussing in the margins) at distances away from the bank or not.However I would have thought that given the fact that they can they surely must do if they feel threatened.Question of course is "threatened by what?"

Still dont think its the "taste of the hook/hooks and despite agreeing that dropping the hook size with shy fish is indeed a proven practical remedy,Im not entirely sure its the feel either!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

They might have seen me, wasn't decked out in my regulation RealTree uniform :(

Did a million real trees die for nothing? :o

This country. :rolleyes:

;)

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Dear Lovies,

I'm racing around at home like a mad man tipping up furniture, pulling out drawers scattering their contents over the floor frantic to find my tablets. When I find the devils I'm going to make a serious post on this serious thread.

I've just noticed the dogs been asleep for quite some time, around three days I think. Perhaps shes ate em??

Regards,

Lee.

Hi All,

Very interesting post this, I have skipped through it a little fast as I have just found my way back to the site after a long while and have not been following things. So please excuse if this has already been mentioned.

I think that I have taken most of it in though and noted that it has been said about the senses of fish and animals being different than our own.

Does anyone think that there is a possibility that these senses include magnetic forces, or detection on metal things?.

What brings it to my mind is the fact that I have read in the past about animals and fish using the earths magnetism to navigate in some circumstances. I also watched a program on sharks that suggested that they could home in on a shark cage using a similar ability.

…………Liam

"Wisdom is the knowledge of how little we know"

Barbelangler.co.uk

Dear Liam,

How you doing?

Is it true that Pike can detect the opposite bank? And if so, do they swim towards it, hit their heads, turn right around and swim back again in the opposite direction? Blimey, perhaps thats why river pike sometimes seem long and thin. Do river pike not possess the "homing" instincts that still water pike do for marginal banks so spend their entire lives swiming eternally along the length of the river toally unaware that it has banks on either side?

Regards,

Lee.