Piking Opportunity

Wordbender

It might, coincidently, have something to do with the moon, but not being a lunatic I haven't bothered to check.

Fact is that for the last few weeks that has been prime time up my way. And after three mild days pike seem to like binging, which makes it Friday. Years of experience, yer know!

I'm actually giving it some wellie , tommorow! My water tells me that tommorow will now be the day.

Pike, unlike carp, have fairly well defined feeding periods. Not to say that a good lure angler can't induce a pike to feed at virtually anytime, sometimes, don't cha know!

Mind you, I'm river fishing tommorow and the tide tells me that morning will be best. But the still water that I have been on lately has definately fished best late afternoon.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Peter about tomorrow bveing the day. But I can't go!:angry: We still haven't found a car after the accident, and Peggy's working tomorrow so she needs her's!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I wonder why I'm not in a good mood today!

Oh well, without much wind maybe Wingham wouldn't have fished well today after all - says he hopefully. :unsure: Last weekend the water was so clear I could see the bottom 14 feet down!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Well both Peter and Steves predictions were right the barometer has climbed over night down here in Kent so if Tels got a similar conditions in Berkshire he should be ok.Wish I had been able to get out myself today i reckon the river will be fishing well.Cant go on my local pond as its closed (er yet again!) due to a long running oxygen problem.Out both days on the res this weekend so keeping my fingers crossed.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

It's over half a day before I set off to my new piking venue and I already know I won't sleep tonight because of the sheer excitement of it all.

This wouldn't be so sad if I were a kid, and yet to experience the mad, bad, and downright dangerous things in life but at 49 I'm about as far from naive as a respectable father of three could be. Yet, despite a life lived on the 'unconventional' side of 'wild', the prospect of lobbing a dead fish or two into a shiny new lake has me buzzing like the adrenaline junkie I used to be.

I was born to hunt and I have a basic need to be outside, exploring new places and learning new things about the world I prefer to inhabit. This isn't just a yearning, it really is part of what's needed to keep me functioning. Without the ability to live in my version of the world on a regular basis, I'd implode. So, do you think that this intense degree of excitement comes from the prospect of exploring something new to me, or the chance of catching a monster fish? I know I'm not the only one who can't sleep the night before a fishing trip. What is it that sets you buzzing as I am now?

I'm fairly sure that catching the big fish really isn't so much at the root of my excitement as exploring a new venue and beginning the stockpile of information I'll build with each cast and observation. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that it's the finding out and the eventual understanding, reading and using what I've learned, that turns me on so. Whatever happens tomorrow I won't blank, of that I'm certain. I'll come away, still buzzing, with my head filled with new discoveries and new places to explore next time I'm there.

I referred to the level of excitement I feel right now as 'sad'. It's nothing of the sort, of course. It's a bloody gift, that's what it is. It's a privilege I inherited and for which I'm incredibly grateful. There are all sorts of bad ways to get an intense buzz, but I've been gifted a way that makes me feel good before, during and after I get it. What an incredible sport we've got, eh?

Edited by Wordbender

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Terry, if you're anything like me, it's the excitement of the unknown. Once I get to know a water I usually want to move on to pastures new. How long it takes depends on how easy or otherwise the fishing is. That's why I'm still besotted with my Coarse Lake at Wingham. It's hard and "there be monsters" and all that.... :)

Terry,

If you did not feel like that you would have taken up something like Golf a long time ago; I guess the anticipation is one of the most important aspects of angling and why we love it so.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.