Piking Opportunity

Wordbender

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just back from my maiden session at the new venue, and what a wonderful day's piking I had. No monsters, but I managed three fish, a 17.3, a single-figure jack and an 18.8. I'm more than happy with that, I can tell you. ;)

I had the 17 within two minutes of casting the first bait of the day. I hadn't even set up the second rod. Things went a bit quiet after that so I shifted to a small inlet and tempted the jack on a perch pattern rubber shad - part of a batch I'm testing for Pro-Logic. Due to the lure's single, top-mounted hook, I could skip it along the bottom and I must have annoyed the jack sufficiently to provoke a strike.

I also had a follow from a very large pike but couldn't temp it. Swapped the lures for a wobbled smelt to no avail but lobbing the baits around kept me warm when the chill began to gnaw a bit.

Then, after my second move, the 18 grabbed a popped-up mackerel within seconds of it landing in a gully between my swim and an island. It would appear that dropping baits on the head of dormant pike was the way forward, so I recast every 15 minutes but no more takes were forthcoming. I'd planned to stay until an hour after dark but family stuff had to be sorted, so that was that.

I'm still buzzing and there's no end of new features and likely-looking swims to explore and I can't wait to get back there. Excellent! :D

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Terry

You will be giving up carp fishing next!

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Terry

You will be giving up carp fishing next!

No chance, mate! They'll pry my carp rod from my cold, dead hands. ;)

Tell you what mate that water sounds like its going to reward you with some excellent fishing. You lucky so and so. Well done and keep it quiet. ;)

The estate manager told me he was landing a 12lb'er - when it was taken by 'a croc!'

Plenty to explore, there, for sure. :D

Great stuff Terry. We had classic high pressure mornings both days this weekend here in Kent. The fishing ran true to form. Nothing massive on Saturday but a total of 23 fish to the boat. All of ours came to float fished lives. The bulk of the fish were doubles so in my mind good sport. Even though (despite what a lot would think) big fish are few and far between on the res you are always in with a chance of a real monster and that’s what makes the fishing so exciting, just knowing that when that float goes away and you wind down you could be latching in to a fish of a life time! Over the years I’ve been at it I’ve been lucky enough to have been on the right waters at the right time to get me some good fish, very few other waters can realistically give me the chance of a PB so fishing the res is always special to me. Simply because I don’t know what’s going to grab my bait next. I think you are going to be in that same very enviable situation on your new water mate.

It doesn’t matter if you don’t catch a monster it’s the chance to that’s the exciting thing.

I tried to post the original draft of this message last night but couldn’t so I’ve updated it a bit to include today’s results. Same great conditions but not quite so many fish although we did have two good ones. Once again to float fished lives from the boat. Just being out on a great water in great conditions like today makes me realise how lucky we are to be in to this fishing lark!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Great stuff Terry. We had classic high pressure mornings both days this weekend here in Kent. The fishing ran true to form. Nothing massive on Saturday but a total of 23 fish to the boat. All of ours came to float fished lives. The bulk of the fish were doubles so in my mind good sport. Even though (despite what a lot would think) big fish are few and far between on the res you are always in with a chance of a real monster and that’s what makes the fishing so exciting, just knowing that when that float goes away and you wind down you could be latching in to a fish of a life time! Over the years I’ve been at it I’ve been lucky enough to have been on the right waters at the right time to get me some good fish, very few other waters can realistically give me the chance of a PB so fishing the res is always special to me. Simply because I don’t know what’s going to grab my bait next. I think you are going to be in that same very enviable situation on your new water mate.

It doesn’t matter if you don’t catch a monster it’s the chance to that’s the exciting thing.

I tried to post the original draft of this message last night but couldn’t so I’ve updated it a bit to include today’s results. Same great conditions but not quite so many fish although we did have two good ones. Once again to float fished lives from the boat. Just being out on a great water in great conditions like today makes me realise how lucky we are to be in to this fishing lark!

Nice one Budgie :)

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Y'know, Budge, with an attitude like yours, you may well do OK at this fishing lark. ;)