A Good Cod Year?

A Norfolk Boy

There was a boat competition for boats around Minehead/Watchet a couple of weeks back. Apparently, not one Cod landed amongst fifteen boats that entered :(

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking to one of the local tackle shops this morning about half a dozen doubles have been reprted this weekend, and a good smatering of 3 pounders. There was a lot of whiting only banter on the VHF. I question whether the VHF is to be believed?? One wonders if individuals are deliberatly trying to muddy the water? and in which direction?

Its a good season up here although there is a distinct lack of decent fish over the magical 10lb mark. Although having said that things are looking good for the future with the amount of smaller fish that are in at the moment. Maybe all you guys need to move to appreciate how good fishing can be in the right area!

Sorry Cliff but six double figure cod and a smattering of 3lb codling all weekend caught between many anglers isnt good cod fishing. It does however still seem to be enough intisement for many anglers to still enjoy fishing for them.This Im not knocking any cod anglers hear I just wonder how bad the cod fishing has to get before they all stop bothering.

IM NOT AS GREEN AS I AM CABBAGE LOOKING!

or maybe I am.

Im not knocking any cod anglers hear I just wonder how bad the cod fishing has to get before they all stop bothering.

As bad as it is now as far as I'm concerened! I've just finished laying my boat up for the winter. Roll on spring!

When you look at effort against reward, it's a no brainer. There were a lot of boats and a lot of anglers out on Sunday, but I only heard of two boats that did well. All the other boats managed was Whiting and Pouting with the odd undersize Codling. Great if you're a gambling man and you like long odds, but fishing from a trailable boat involves a lot of effort, not to mention expense, and I don't think it's worth it when the fishing is so patchy.

The few anglers who caught Cod from the beaches over the weekend probably represent less than 0.5% of those that went fishing. Conditions at the weekend were almost perfect for Cod fishing, yet returns were abismal. That says a lot for just how bad things have got, in my area anyway.

I've joined my local freshwater angling club and I'm going back to my roots this winter.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Going back to the 1920's when I started fishing they where rare so its impossible that one that big has been caught at hopton.

Kagger out of interest just how old are you, if you started fishing in 1920 that would put you between 90 and 95!!! :rolleyes:B):D:D

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist