Last minute luring

Rusty

JV44 and I joined the Hungerford Canal Association last year and our tickets expire on 31st March…so we’re going out for a last lure fishing session tomorrow, no bait allowed. As usual we’ve picked perfect perching conditions with the forecast suggesting a bright sunny day ahead! We’ve even managed to persuade Steve Walker to come along and participate in the debacle although that’s probably only due to the fact that we’ll be having tea and Victoria Sponge at a quaint little tea shoppe during half time.

It will no doubt turn into a competition, I’ll make them aware of the rules once I’ve figured out who’s catching what.

Full report to follow.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Best of luck.

Hopefully I'll be out trying to bag a spottie or two in a couple of weeks.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Hungerford canal lure fishing comp rules for Rusty`s attention before he makes some up

[1] Strictly no fishing before the 2 Steve`s have got Steve Walkers day ticket and arrived at the car park starting point esp if your name is Rusty

[2]the use of lobworm on the dropshot rig is not allowed

[3] No smoking venue

[4] No competitors to show any anger issues and certainly blame of rule 3 will not be allowed to be taken into account for breaking rule 4

[5] 5 points per fish and 20 points if it`s the first one of a species to be caught in the competition.

[6]Anglers who`s Christian names starts with the letter S get double the points tally per fish of rule 5

[7]Floppy hats and Barbour jackets are banned at this fishery

[8] Pouring Tea into your saucer and blowing across the table in the tea shop in an attempt to blind your fellow competitors is not allowed

[9] Squashing fellow competitors Victoria sponge cake flat with the flat of your hand is only allowed if you first stand up and shout incoming take cover[10] Cloth badges on clothing stating my other rod is a Harrison are not allowed

[11] Cloth badges stating my other reel is a Lythe ......eventually are allowed

As usual rule 22b will be in effect

I have had a drink can you tell

• Like 3

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

In recognition of the fact that my beef Wellington was a bit of a Pearl Harbour job, I am declaring that tomorrow will be marinated venison steak, mashed celeriac and baked butternut squash.

Well Rusty won the numbers game but my 2 perch were a lot bigger than his ,Steve walker persevered with the dropshotting all day and came second and I came urhh last ....bugger that waqsn`t in the script.

Rusty looked like he was about to die when we eventually got back to the cars and it was my fault for not offering to walk all the way back get my car and pick him up .

Great day great company and the Tea room banter was fun .

• Like 1

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Hey, that looks like a nice perch! It looks as if you guys did well for such a sunny day. 2 questions:

1. What did you actually catch, and how big?

2. For some reason, at the top of this thread there is an advert for a DANCING POLE. These advertisers are very sophisticated, and the only reason must be that one of you is taking up a new sport for the close season. Some pics, please.

john clarke

John, I fear those adverts are individually targeted to the viewer - is there something you would like to tell us ? ;)

JV44 had a quite respectable fish of a pound and a half or so (pictured), short but football shaped. We had a few in the 12oz-1lb sort of range and some tiddlers. Rusty had a couple of jacks too.

Edited by Steve Walker

John no monsters that one pound and a half maybe a tad more short but very plump fish Steve W had one of around 12oz and rusty had a 3lb Jack and a 4 oz Jack along with some Perch ,hard going in very clear conditions and sunshine