Which reel?

mouroulis

All,

It is a common mistake (and preached more in the UK than anywhere else in the world) that line diameter and color are very high causes for a blank. I hate repeating myself but I'll repeat myself anyway. In tests, many years ago, we dangled hundreds of lines in the test pond. It didn't matter in a statistically significant manner. Bright or cloudy; colored line or not, results were pretty much the same. Black line of a solid material (olden day lines and braids) cast a secondary shadow that lowered the overall "touching" of line but only slightly. Seemed to me they were avoiding shadows as much as anything (just my observations, couldn't prove it in a million years). Fluorocarbons performed the worst (highest avoidance rate). We were a long time figuring out WHY.

Phone

PS I'm with those who don't necessarily believe there is a correlation between price and intended purpose. HOWEVER, my last real experience in line testing was before 1992. Technology in line manufacturing has come a LONG way since 1992.

Edit: the proof is in the number of line bumps you experience. Lots of bumps equal correct line.

Edited by Phone

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All,

I had a UK carp angler tell me (and I think he believe it) he once threw a thousand floating boilies in a pond. Then cast the 1001 boilie attached to a line. Every single one of the 1000 boilies was taken before the one attached to fishing line was taken. He became angry when I ask "are you sure?" (dropped the subject)

Phone

Phone;

I think that second statement is hampered by the perception of the fisherman in question...

it always seems to be the case that fish eat everything other than your bait. why? because I think its the frustration of seeing them eat all the other bait that causes that thought to stick in your mind whilst you forget the amount of times they take your bait first or nearly first!

"Seemed to me they were avoiding shadows as much as anything (just my observations, couldn't prove it in a million years). Fluorocarbons performed the worst (highest avoidance rate). We were a long time figuring out WHY. "

did you figure out why they didn't like fluorocarbons? and if so why?

Edited by kirisute

All,

I had a UK carp angler tell me (and I think he believe it) he once threw a thousand floating boilies in a pond. Then cast the 1001 boilie attached to a line. Every single one of the 1000 boilies was taken before the one attached to fishing line was taken. He became angry when I ask "are you sure?" (dropped the subject)

Phone

I've done the very same thing with floating casters, bread etc and all to often my hookbait was the only one left untouched (I did find a secret method of catching them though :) ), or maybe it had a few knocks. I've thrown in handfulls of maggots and let mine drop down with them as lots of roach have dashed amongst them at amazing speed but as hard to belive as it sounds they would avoid mine like the plague. Low diameter clear line combined with very small hooks does deffo help to catch wary fish, that is 100% fact.

kiri,

Fluorocarbon line transmit light like a optic cable. If the "end"(reel) is not exposed to light everything is OK.

tigger,

I cannot attest to heavily pressured dinks.

Phone

kiri,

Fluorocarbon line transmit light like a optic cable. If the "end"(reel) is not exposed to light everything is OK.

tigger,

I cannot attest to heavily pressured dinks.

Phone

Phine, those fish that left my bait standing where on waters that had hardly ever seen an angler at all....so they just knew what not to take.

A bait tethered to any line behaves differently from an untethered bait - that's mainly what fish pick up on. The thicker the line, the more it affects behaviour. That's why hair rigs work.

Lighter line, smaller hooks, balanced baits, hair rigs, all go some way to negate the effect of being tethered.

I hadn't heard about the fibre optic effect of flourocarbon, but even if that's true, wouldn't that mean you'd have to cut the line and look at the cut end to see any transmitted light? I've used fluoro quite a bit and I can't say I've ever noticed it glowing... and more to the point, when fishing for sight feeders (trout, zander, perch) I always catch more using fluoro hooklengths/leaders than when using alternatives.

PS another thumbs up for Sensor mainline ;)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Anderoo,

You can observe this characteristic of fluorocarbon with this little test. Take a 4 ft strand of line - tape on end to a torch (flashlight) lens so no light escapes. In a darkened room tale the other end and shine it of the wall. Only a very small portion of the light escapes out of the sidewalls. The sidewalls will not glow to the eye. The light is gathered by the multiple winds on your reel. Of course if you are using fluorocarbon where no light is available (hooklength) it won't happen.

There is something to tethering. But fish are pretty stupid. In fairness, we rarely come across heavily pressured fish that might be somehow conditioned.

For example, Ken can tell you it doesn't matter with often caught fish in Sub-Asia. I'd be curious what OZ has to say on this subject. I've yet to fish in OZ.

Phone

well to be fair ive fished at Narborough Hall lake which is virtually un-fished and full of carp and roach etc

I would say they are the most un pressurised fish ive ever encountered and they fed and took bait like every other fish ive encountered..maybe more so.

no spooking at line,hook or bait.