Which reel?

mouroulis

Is it me or has this thread gone completely off topic. I thought it was an enquiry about reels

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All,

I think it is also fair to say confidence is 90% of the battle.

Whatever floats your boat is what I'd do. However, IMO, the fish could care less.

Phone

Well, I know for certain that fish are put off by the line and hook.....and that's not just my imagination either, i'm 100% sure as i've witnessed it so many times.

Phone, your wrong m8 :).

Baits with a hook/line attached do get ignored and often.

I have watched Carp, Roach and Crucian creeping around baited areas in shallow clear water, when happy they feed, introduced a baited hook gently and they became cautious backing off in an instant.

There is a reason why the method feeder is such a deadly method for most species - your hairrigged hook is buried so they don't see it, the first they know is when they get pricked.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Anderoo,

You can observe this characteristic of fluorocarbon with this little test. Take a 4 ft strand of line - tape on end to a torch (flashlight) lens so no light escapes. In a darkened room tale the other end and shine it of the wall. Only a very small portion of the light escapes out of the sidewalls. The sidewalls will not glow to the eye. The light is gathered by the multiple winds on your reel. Of course if you are using fluorocarbon where no light is available (hooklength) it won't happen.

There is something to tethering. But fish are pretty stupid. In fairness, we rarely come across heavily pressured fish that might be somehow conditioned.

For example, Ken can tell you it doesn't matter with often caught fish in Sub-Asia. I'd be curious what OZ has to say on this subject. I've yet to fish in OZ.

Phone

If just a small amount of light escapes out of the side walls, wouldn't it be safe to assume that only a small amount is absorbed in through the side walls? The line on a reel only has the side walls exposed to light, so very little would be passed along the line. I could see it transmitting light focused on a cross section, like the old fibre optic lamps. But not from daylight shining on coils on a reel.

If someone does try the experiment, please post the results, I don't use fluoro line or I would try it myself.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I've done the very same thing with floating casters, bread etc and all to often my hookbait was the only one left untouched (I did find a secret method of catching them though :) ), or maybe it had a few knocks. I've thrown in handfulls of maggots and let mine drop down with them as lots of roach have dashed amongst them at amazing speed but as hard to belive as it sounds they would avoid mine like the plague. Low diameter clear line combined with very small hooks does deffo help to catch wary fish, that is 100% fact.

I've also watched this. I grew up fishing waters where heavy tackle wouldn't get you a bite.

gozzer,

The obvious answer is yes, of course. And, most of the light exits at the tag. Your example is a good one, those lamps with an array of stiff fluorocarbon. How much light do you think it would take for a fish to respond? What material do you think they use in fiber optics.

tigger,

I wouldn't try to change your views in a million years. As alluded to by Anderoo, altering the wave action or flow in a river DOES have some affect/effect. I would guess especially wave action on a mirror still day in a pond.

I am often wrong - but not on this one. In fact, the Japanese worked for a while on line that would look fuzzy in the water. The intent was to emulate root. I guess the results were not practical.

Steve,

Ever notice the opposite? Why do you think this is a UK bias?

Phone

Edited by Phone