Your Best Bag Of Roach

The Flying Tench

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've caught bigger roach, and I've caught much bigger bags of smaller roach, but this bag sticks in my memory as a really good day. All caught on quivertipped breadflake (even the brownies) from a very small river.

post-6391-1134647041_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steve Walker

My "best" bag of roach wasn't my biggest bag, neither did it contain my PB or even a specimen.

It came on a winter afternoon on the Kentish Beult when it was so cold I didn't have the will to even get my flask from the rucksack beside me. I didn't know it at the time of course, but I was suffering from the first sign of exposure due to inadequate clothing (it was many years ago). I was woken from my trance by the float dipping, otherwise I might have stayed frozen to the bank. The fish turned out to be a roach of a pound and a quarter, and in the now fast-fading light I added 11 more of a similar size, thus taking the bag up to 15lbs or so.

A memorable catch - and a memorable lesson learned!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Hi John

Still hankering after the roach I see :) I have it on good authority the winter roach fishing is 'fintastic mate' on the Middle Severn at Ironbridge :):):) I am going to give it a go after Christmas. Apparently there is a good B&B nearby??

On my first ever Roach session I had a 65lb bag in 4 hours including 7 over 1.5lbs with one at 2lb 2oz the biggest. Ive fished plenty of times since for them but never came close to the result I had on my first day. The 2lb 2oz is still my PB Roach too.

Just to cheer up the winter gloom, tell us your best bag. Was it lake or river?

My best bag was a 70lb bag from the river Scariff in Ireland, fish averaging between 10oz & 1.5lb.

It came in a morning session & by the end of it I was catching on 4lb straight through to a size 12 & two maggots!!!

By the end I was sick to death of catching them. Still love Roach but I never want to repeat it.

Actually I'm not sure whether that should be classed as my best or worst bag.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

On my first ever Roach session I had a 65lb bag in 4 hours including 7 over 1.5lbs with one at 2lb 2oz the biggest. Ive fished plenty of times since for them but never came close to the result I had on my first day. The 2lb 2oz is still my PB Roach too.

A great session! Could you tell us a bit more? How long ago? In the UK? River or lake? Actually, I think for all the people who've given details it's been river.

john clarke

My best bag of roach is a plastic one in my bait freezer!

Sorry John I couldnt resist that one!

Seriously though I find it hard to actually say what would rate as my best.Whilst serving in the forces in Germany I was able to experience some great fishing on the River Waser,especially in the Hameln area.The roach averaged around 10-14ozs and during a match you would need a ton plus just to get a section placing. Never caught (or saw for that matter) a 2lbr but the average size was great.

One memorable session was on a small tributary of the main river.The main river was in flood and lots of fish had moved in to the small river that joined the main one via a small harbour. I dont know exactly how many we caught but it was well in excess of 50 fish all over the pound mark.Stick float and maggots was the sucsessful combination.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

A great session! Could you tell us a bit more? How long ago? In the UK? River or lake? Actually, I think for all the people who've given details it's been river.

Yea c'mon the exact location please :)