22lb Cod - River Mersey

Pete C&C

Hello Steve

If you take Cod, there is scientific evidence that as their numbers become fewer, they mature and reproduce earlier

I think the scientific evidence has changed, they now say that warmer temps cause cod to mature and reproduse earlier.

Bloody scientists!

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some fair comments cjs2, i will agree about the run of the mill size of the cod today (excluding down here as there are none of anysize in my location any more) i was watching the landinds by the commercials in scotland peterhead i think it was? on the news, and the boxes of cod i saw had not a single fish that looked at all double figures more like codling size 5lb and less all of them, its no wonder the commercials dont want anything to do with bigger mesh sizes i guess they would catch jack if they did, i can understand this and i wish they would be honest and say so instead of saying different.

I have said what i have said and i will stick to it, i will do my bit for the bmp because there intended target of 55cm mls is what i want not 45cm but we have to start somewhere and guess what i dont retain any bass i catch i return everyone, i am even just as passionate about mullet same self imposed rules they all go back, in actual fact everything i catch goes back now and that would include a cod whether it be 20lb or 2lb if i was ever lucky enough to catch one these days? i give myself the same chances of catching a marlin here in sussex as i would a cod.................

Stavey, you have your view, you must stick to it, I have a view that I personaly keep to. I will abide by any new ruling, code of practice, As I said earlier, will the comercials???? :huh:

If you take Cod, there is scientific evidence that as their numbers become fewer, they mature and reproduce earlier

I think the scientific evidence has changed, they now say that warmer temps cause cod to mature and reproduse earlier.

See, it changes like the wind, we go round and round and round, one day we will disapear up our . . . . . just caught that one Elton :unsure:

:ph34r:

Edited by CJS2

simply. we must start conservation somewhere.

ITS NO EXCUSE JUST BECAUSE THE COMMERCIALS DONT.

my mum would say

'would you jump of that bridge just because yer mate did'

Sorry dale, I do not agree, put everything back!!!!, along comes a comercial and sweeps it up, thankyou he says! Provided you are senssible, just keep a couple etc. Why go beating youself with a stick, the only one its hurting is you! :o

I'll say it again, untill everyone sings from the same hymn sheet, 'put them all back' is a futile gesture. Equaly taking everything hooked is ignorant and feelingless, for the present, the senssible middle path is the one to take. By the way, been down the marina this pm, a dinghy came in with a good catch of 8-9lb cod, some large whiting and nice skate. No he was not conservation minded, but he found the fish, is Wurzel right?

I know I am going to get my a***e kicked for this, but I will not bow to a blinkered attitudes in either camp! Things need sorting!, heads need banging! in the meantime I will be returning two thirds of my catch as my effort to conserve my fishing <_<:angry::o

Edited by CJS2

The question has been asked many times about should the larger fish be returned, however the River Mersey has some of the strongest tidal currents in the UK, there are approx 7 currents in the area that the fish was caught and my guess is that the fish would have had little chance to survive as it would have used that much energy.

Whatever the reasons etc, i dont really think that anybody that keeps a fish that is going to be eaten should be condemed for it.

Here is a 10lb 1oz from the shore, this guy returns many many fish but this one was eaten

leecod.jpg:rolleyes:

The question has been asked many times about should the larger fish be returned, however the River Mersey has some of the strongest tidal currents in the UK, there are approx 7 currents in the area that the fish was caught and my guess is that the fish would have had little chance to survive as it would have used that much energy.

Whatever the reasons etc, i dont really think that anybody that keeps a fish that is going to be eaten should be condemed for it.

Here is a 10lb 1oz from the shore, this guy returns many many fish but this one was eaten

In agreement 'WSF' nice fish, just right for eating, the 'in' words is 'inteligent', one or two for the pot :rolleyes:

Have a good New Year. :ph34r:

Edited by CJS2

Wirral and cjs2 you carry on knocking every one out of three on the head, thats ok and when they are extinct you will have the satisfaction of saying of course i had nothing to do with it because i use to stick some back!

I on the other hand will carry on in my futile way and put them all back if i catch any? besides the more i put back the more you can take home to eat, as they are so expensive to buy, happy xmas fellas......................

Edited by stavey

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Stavey, you have your view, you must stick to it, I have a view that I personally keep to. I will abide by any new ruling, code of practice, As I said earlier, will the commercials???? :huh:

See, it changes like the wind, we go round and round and round, one day we will disappear up our . . . . . just caught that one Elton :unsure:

Forgive me this as its Christmas ;) hic!

First genetics lecture I went to at Uni had this written on the blackboard:

Yesterday a child came out to wonder

Caught a dragonfly inside a jar

Fearful when the sky was full of thunder

And tearful at the falling of a star

Then the child moved ten times round the seasons

Skated over ten clear frozen streams

Words like, when you’re older, must appease him

And promises of someday make his dreams

And the seasons they go round and round

And the painted ponies go up and down

We’re captive on the carousel of time

We can’t return we can only look behind

From where we came

And go round and round and round

In the circle game

Sixteen springs and sixteen summers gone now

Cartwheels turn to car wheels thru the town

And they tell him,

Take your time, it won’t be long now

Till you drag your feet to slow the circles down

We can’t return we can only look behind

From where we came

In the circle game

So the years spin by and now the boy is twenty

Though his dreams have lost some grandeur coming true

There’ll be new dreams, maybe better dreams and plenty

Before the last revolving year is through

We can’t return, we can only look behind

From where we came

In the circle game

I can remember little of the lectures after that. Still think about that song though ! :D Damn hippy lecturers! :D

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

I on the other hand will carry on in my futile way and put them all back if i catch any? besides the more i put back the more you can take home to eat, as they are so expensive to buy, happy xmas fellas......................

Next you will be having a go because i sell rods and reels as well as hooks and bait so that people can go and catch them

:lol:

Wirral and cjs2 you carry on knocking every one out of three on the head, thats ok and when they are extinct you will have the satisfaction of saying of course i had nothing to do with it because i use to stick some back!

Afraid your are on a looser 'stavey', most of the anglers I see, take at least a couple for the pot, many take everything that is leagal :o You go on beating yourself with your big stick, I'll continue my 'couple for the pot', my concience is clear. Its the anglers that take everything legle you should be having a go at, how are you gon'a reach them mate??? :huh: The phrase 'hi$$ing in the wind' comes to mind. When I lock into my marina, I am often asked, "did you catch anything"? the reply, "have a couple for the pot, put the rest back", a better reply than "yes, I put them all back!!!". I know what I would think, 'yeah he blanked again', might not be true, but ????? :unsure:

I think Wirral has a point, want to conserve cod, stop fishing mate!!! 'that'll show em'. Ever thought some of the cod you have returned will not have made it especialy those that are gut hooked, get out 'the sack cloth and ashes' :blink::lol:

I seem to remember you posting recently, you have not got any cod in your area, does one detect a little sour grapes? Sorry you are codless, but we dont all have to suffer. Even the most enthusiastic conservationists on this sight take one or two for the pot, if previous posts over this closing year are anything to go by.

May I wish you 'Stavey' a 'Happy New Year', may you enjoy your plate of chips :lol: