Match rods/ line ratings / strengths

Tigger

This article suggests you can exert more force with a lighter rod...

http://www.barbel.co.uk/site/articles/testcurves/test_curves.htm

Perhaps retry the test but tie the line onto a set of scales and see what you actually achieve in terms of force exerted.

Good idea Rich, I had actually thought of that but just didn't get round to it. I thought with the drag being set at the exact same with all the rods it would have been easy enough to see a difference in the various strengths of float rods....seems i'm wrong.

Or try the same test without the tips sections fitted? They're so thin on modern rods I can’t believe they make a huge difference to casting, playing a fish or the test curve. Once they’ve done their bit (which is over pretty quickly in my opinion) all the forces are transferred to the mid and butt sections.

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Or try the same test without the tips sections fitted? They're so thin on modern rods I can’t believe they make a huge difference to casting, playing a fish or the test curve. Once they’ve done their bit (which is over pretty quickly in my opinion) all the forces are transferred to the mid and butt sections.

I know what you mean Chris but I think the tip section is needed to get the true action of the rod.

Or, you could go fishing. I'd bet a nickel you intuitively know how "horsey" you can be. I'd equally bet you don't "trust" the clutch as much as you trust your instincts.

Yes, more or less what I said in the last sentence of post 2

In the final analysis, its not the rod that counts, its the angler behind it.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Yes, more or less what I said in the last sentence of post 2

In the final analysis, its not the rod that counts, its the angler behind it.

Thing is, I only used the clutch in that way to see how much pressure the different rods could exert in comparison to one another.

When I actually use a fixed spool reel I always have my clutch set relatively slack and adjust it during the fight or use my finger on the spool when needed rather than alter the tension on the clutch.

Tigger,

In that case you're dilemma cannot be solved in the test your are preforming. I do not believe the "clutch" (drag is sensitive enough). You better stick with your “Nottingham Winches” and WAG the rod.

Phone

• Like 1

Actually, I think it's quite a good idea, to set a fixed tension in the line and see how much it bends the rod - the usual tactic is to put a set bend in the rod and measure the tension with a spring balance. The only question is how repeatable the tension is, which you could easily check with aforementioned spring balance.

• Like 1