Pike Fishing Tactics

B1g-Dav3

What tackle do i need for "Pike Fishing?"  

89 members have voted

1. 1. What main line should i use for pike up to 30lb?

• 10lb - 12lb
    • 12lb - 14lb
    • 14lb - 16lb
    • 16lb - 18lb
    • 18lb - 20lb
    • 20lb +
  2. 2. What reel is best for dead bait or live bait?

• Standard/Freerunner
    • Multiplier
  3. 3. What test curve rod is best for pike up to 30lb?

• 1lb - 2lb
    • 2lb - 3lb
    • 3lb - 4lb
    • 4lb +

Well according to my maths thats about a fishing trip every two and a half days, would that be right?

Assuming that you've managed a trip every 2.5 days was every trip for pike and have you caught pike every time?

I only wish others were as quick at learning all there is to know about piking as you seem to be and then there would be no need for fishing polls for folk to obtain knowledge would there?

Try not to be too dismissive when people offer free advice that you sought originally as it only leads to a reluctance to help you again when next you're stuck and need advice

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well according to my maths thats about a fishing trip every two and a half days, would that be right?

I went pretty much every day for a fortnight just to get a feel for pike fishing before I went with some mates. Because i dont want to make a pratt of myself.

Try not to be too dismissive when people offer free advice that you sought originally as it only leads to a reluctance to help you again when next you're stuck and need advice

I've not said that I dont appriatiate your help because I do. Thanks alot for all your tips they will be a great help.

And for you peter if you havn't got any information on pike fishing then keep it quite and just read the posts.

THANK YOU

I went pretty much every day for a fortnight just to get a feel for pike fishing before I went with some mates. Because i dont want to make a pratt of myself.

I've not said that I dont appriatiate your help because I do. Thanks alot for all your tips they will be a great help.

And for you peter if you havn't got any information on pike fishing then keep it quite and just read the posts.

THANK YOU

If you want to buy a magazine that helps with fishing for pike , try having a look at Pike and Predators magazine, full of tips articles and advice that help us all out along the holy grail path of pike fishing.

Some of the authors and article writers may become known to you over a period of time and one of them is .........................................lets see if I can remember...........................................oh yes, Ive got it now, its Peter Waller

Some of the authors and article writers may become known to you over a period of time and one of them is .........................................lets see if I can remember...........................................oh yes, Ive got it now, its Peter Waller

I did not say that Peter has no good advice to give. I said if he dosn't want to give it he shouldn't start slagging people off.

i didn't see peter slag anyone off, all i saw was him making a light hearted comment, designed to make you think again. 12 piking sessions is nothing, you still have a lot to learn, as do we all.

it's just that some have less to learn than others :)

anymore replies like the one to peter, and i think you'll find the advice will not be so forthcoming, then you'll realise how little you learnt in a fortnight :)

But in fairness I was a bit waspish to Dav3, perhaps he will accept my apologies for that.

Dave3, if, through ignorance, or pig headedness, you damage a pike then it doesn't end there, you are also damaging the fishing of others. Okay, so accidents happen, some will take the odd fish for the pot, but the sad reality is pike fishing is on the decline in many parts of the UK, nature is no longer making up the shortfall.

Okay,so maybe I am getting jaded in my old age, but when I read the style of your posting my first reaction was that you have a great deal to learn, perhaps rather more than you realise, that last point being the most apt. Bulls in china shops might not be too strong a simile.

It has been said, on AN, that we are all friends that have yet to meet. And sometimes we have to learn to fit in, to get used to each others ways! I hope that we can.

But in fairness I was a bit waspish to Dav3, perhaps he will accept my apologies for that.

There is no need to apoligise every pice of information which is given to me I take with both hands and incorparate it into my fishing. Your Info is much apretiated.

Bit waspish Peter? ...... maybe, but in my opinion you DID offer information on pike, or at least advice, and sound advice at that.

Night fishing and predators is a dangerous mix for an experienced angler let alone a novice. I think you'd be better to get a good deal more experience during daylight under your belt first.

My twopennerth would be 30/50 lb braid or 15lbs plus mono, at least 30lb wire, and a rod of between 2lb and 3lb TC, depending on a number of factors but probably chiefly on the sorts of distances you're most likely to be fishing at.

Investigate any obvious features, particularly underwater and overhead structure, overhanging trees, river bends and junctions etc. Somebody somewhere recently described a viable opportunity for pike as being any kind of change in the uniformity of a water. I make that pretty sound advice.

Good luck.

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'