Common Skate from the shore

Alan Taylor

I have heard through the grapevine that there is going to be a serious attempt at catching a record Common Skate from the shore. This started me asking myself a load of questions.

Assuming the rods, reels and line are the same as for Big catfish or boat fishing for Skate.

How would you deliver the bait to the area required?

Would 2lb of bait and 2lb of lead be required?

Once landed would the relevant authority's take the weight based on the Kelvin Grove Museum/Davy Holt's scale (which have been proven to be accurate to within 5lb on a moving boat) as a basis for there accepting the weight?

Would an independant witness be required, ie the local Police or Doctor and if so how would they keep the Skate alive and stress free until his/her arrival.

I am sure these points have been looked into but would be genuinly interested in the answers.

If and when it goes ahead I wish the team the best of luck and that they prove to the world that it is not necessary to hang a trophy fish on a meat hook. Catch and release.

Cheers

Alan

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SandTiger:

They'll never pull it off

Why not? Most things are possible if you try hard enough and with a lot of planning :)

Why no answers to my original questions, are the parties concerned not on AN

Off to bed.

Nite as the yanks would say.

Alan

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/