Common Skate from the shore

Alan Taylor

Just my tuppence worth - there was a skate taken recently (late 2003 or early 2004) on Fermoyle beach in Kerry at night but the angler needed to wade in and haul it out with a few mates (I think Bob Moss wrote a piece on it for Veals). Fenit in Kerry has produced several skate from the shore including one of 109 lbs many years ago to a man on a light bass rod and 19 lb b/s mono... mind you it did take him nearly 5 hours to land the beast, but certainly a superb achievement.

There is also a location up in Lough Swilly which routinely produces small ones (under the ton is small!) each summer to people seeking the Thornbacks. Up there I was told 5 day old mackerel is the ideal bait, and that people are now seeking them specifically at this mark.

It is possible certainly, and if thornbacks are anything to go by (that universally true Dave about them mixing together?) you don't need a huge depth of water or need to be able to cast to the horizon. I've had thornies in four feet of water albeit that might be a wee bit tight for a your average common skate... what I have noticed is that all of these locations have deeper water and a swift current / disturbed or coloured water.

Anyone else got pointers on this?

Off on my first boat trip on the 26th (can't wait) but alas we have some novices with us, the weather forecast is not fantastic and skate is not on the list. FWIW...

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya,

Corydoras, yup it could well have been a Common you hooked in Loch long, there used to be a few of them about in the Clyde. Your not the only one that had that happen to them while fishing Loch long :)

Kieran, I've normally found old baits work better than fresh for skate, but there could be a reason for it... most fish wont touch old bait so it's left alone till a Common toddles along.

On almost every one of the areas I fish we can get Thornie's and quite often, the Thornie's will come on the feed just before the skate. As for depth, Commons are quite happy to come into 30' of water if the feeding is there. Over here very few people try shallow water, with most looking for the deepest bit they can find. It's a lot easier catching them in 200' than 600' and even better in 80' :D:D

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Hi Davy

I hear ya! Interesting idea about the old bait as opposed to fresh bait.

Over here we are surrounded by these shallow bays - you could be in the middle of Broadhaven and have only 12 feet of water under you, and the marks where they are caught in Clew Bay are not deep at all, certainly no more than 100 feet (that's 30 metres right?).

...but what about the idea that they hang around currents and disturbed / discoloured water - anyone?

Thanks

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

Hiya,

they certainly have a liking for disturbed water but I'm not so sure about the coloured water as we don't get that over here. There is every probability if there is easy feeding for them then yes they will be found there.

Just remember, these fish are *very* active hunters and believe it or not more than able to catch free swimming mackerel and are just as happy crunching on king scallops. When you look at it really anything that weighs less than 20lb and lives in an area where Commons frequent there is a good chance it will end up on the menu :):)

Davy

We have caught skate in Clew Bay in 50+ft of water, no more than a gentle lob from the nearest island.

I would think that its very possible to catch one from the shore in Ireland, or Scotland.

You could evn take a tip from the carp anglers and row your bait out.

I think the problem comes in the safe handling of the fish, once it reaches shallow waters.

These shore lines are frequently rocky and that would cause problems.

I have no problem in anglers trying to hook one from the shore, but forget records etc., and release it in the water.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Hiya Cranfield,

The main aim is to catch 1 or more from the shore.. that's all nothing more nothing less. If they do happen to catch one over 167lb well that will be a bonus.

Everything is being set up with the welfare of the skate top of the priorities, the gear is more than capable of landing a lot bigger fish than they are likely to encounter at the area they will be fishing.

Davy

Wouldn`t you just know it. Henry G, is now showing an interest in skate fishing. :D:D

How long has he had an invite to fish with you Davy?

Get certificated quickly Davy. Then you can charge him `charter rates`!!

I need to get some time off pronto.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

That Pier in Breasclete, last year fished well from October to February/March time - when fished on the correct tide.

As Davy said, "The most likley reason for the lack of Commons being caught from the pier is the attraction of the area has dropped for them" - it has to be fished properly with right tide conditions etc I hear.

There is a number of shore areas which can be fished on the west coast of Lewis & Harris that will probably produce the big Commons if fished properly. Scalop divers are the guys in the know, each one I have spoken to tells of the large numbers of Skate close inshore - I was hearing one long experienced diver recently seen a Common in Loch Tarbert close to the shore that dwarfed any skate he has ever seen in the sea.

From what I hear from divers, Loch Roag is far from cleaned out of Skate and there are still a great number of them in there.

Gordon had a 109 lb one, then had the 169 lb record one - I have the only photo of that fish on the desk here, he recently gave me to scan for Stornoway Sea Angling Club web site - yet to scan though.

Gillies :)

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

spasor:

Wouldn`t you just know it. Henry G, is now showing an interest in skate fishing. :D:D

How long has he had an invite to fish with you Davy?

Erm only about 1 year, he's not been as bad as that Elton one.. he's had an invite for the last 6 years :)

Get certificated quickly Davy. Then you can charge him `charter rates`!!

I need to get some time off pronto.

I'm still well away from that.. still got the new boat to get built first !!!!! :)

Davy

OK Davy.

I took nearly 3yrs to take up your invite.

New boat getting built? Tell me about it.

If things go right. We`ll be living nearby. Well Scotland isn`t far away????????? Edinburgh.

Don`t bother. Norrie has stated that the house is in the `Posh` area. :rolleyes:

Just wish we didn`t have familly living nearby. Scores of the sods!!

Some folk die with grace. Others die, leave you a house, then watch all the fighting from familly that think they`re more deserved.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!