Common Skate from the shore

Alan Taylor

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep Norrie!

Who`s that handsome b/stud in the shumfling chair?

Victoria arrived as I was looking at the pics.

"So you realy did have a good trip" was her comment.

Since when did anglers ever lie to their wives? :D:D:D

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Hiya Alan

The NFSA require photographic evidence when approved the scales go off to Weights and Measures for checking. Although witnesses help they are not strictly necessary. In any event I imagine there will be a fair amount of local interest and as you know these beasties can take a bit of time to land.

However the object of the exercise is not to catch a "record" fish as such that would just be a bonus.

Davey B

Scottish shore caught Skate record: fish of 169lb caught off a pier by G McKenzie in Loch Roag in 1994. I fished near the same location soon after and caught big LSD's and good sized thornback. What was disturbing was that this angling feat reached the ears of local commercial fishers and the area was cleaned out within a short time by trawling. The shore fishing in the Outer Hebrides is good if you think about what species you are targetting and adjust tackle and tactics accordingly. If you catch a big skate off the shore have a witness and a camera, measure and return it and keep location confidential!

Rocky.

Hiya,

Erm since Common skate at the moment thankfully have no commercial value I find it hard to believe that a trawler would deliberately target them. If they did the Sound of Mull & Firth of Lorn would have been hammerd before now.

Also it is a well known fact that Commons are very good at avoiding trawls.. As any of the research boats :)

Their downfall however is normally Long lines or Anglers, neither of which were the case on the West of Lewis. The most likley reason for the lack of Commons being caught from the pier is the attraction of the area has dropped for them.

Is there not a fish processing plant othere also??

If it is are they still dumping as much offal??

If you are still catching Thornbacks of the pier the Commons wont be far away

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

About 25 years ago I hooked what I _think_ was a skate from the shore near Arrochar on Loch Long. I was casting out about 80 or so yards from the shore (it is one of those spots where it does not pay to cast out 100+ yds) using 25-30lb BS monofilament. Whatever it was just swam slowly but powerfully away down the loch. I could not stop or turn the thing and when had taken all the line from the spool it snapped me off. :rolleyes:

Don't all run off to Loch Long it is well overfished and trawled out now, you would be lucky to catch much more than a cold or be eaten by midges.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote