braid on centrepins anyone?

jeepster

i use 8lb power pro ~1-2lb mono dia with 50 mtrs on the spool,i also use 50mtrs of the same in one of my abu 506's and a mitchell 410.i get good line pick up even at distance.i have a loop tied at the end of the line and either a loop to loop connected hooklink ( ready tied :o ) or via a tiny swivel to a hooklink.

I have never used a gut bottom in my life and prefer to fish my mainline straight through. To me it's just a weak spot in your set up.

I know the reason for the gut bottom (if a fish breaks you off then it won't have 30yds of line trailing behind it etc etc ) but i honestly have never been snapped by a fish preferring to play it for longer rather than bullying it in as quick as poss. I know now people will say that you should get a fish in as quick as you can but to me half the joy of fishing is using a bit of skill and patience when bringing in a fish even if it takes a bit longer to bring it inn. Ok maybe the fish are a little more tired after being played for that bit longer but if they are treated with a bit of care and respect they allways dart off full of beans when released.

I know we all have our preferred methods but that's mine.

Tigger.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i use shop brought ready tied hooklinks for various reasons ,i carn't be bothered to tie my own ! they're of a good standard these days,they've help to avoid bumping fish when striking with using braid,and at 2 1/2 lb or so b/s they're easier to snap off if i catch a snag,they're quick & easy to replace whilst fishing,i use a swivel (micro) when fishing as a dropper shot as they prevent pigtails at the hook from spinning baits and are good when grayling fishing.i only fish strait through if i know the stretch is free from snaggs but never with braid.i still fish with my aventa pro with mono (at the moment) but rarely fish strait through to my hook.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

i only fish strait through if i know the stretch is free from snaggs but never with braid.i still fish with my aventa pro with mono (at the moment) but rarely fish strait through to my hook.

Makes a lot of sense (to use a weaker hook length) if you're using 8lb bs braid on a float rod.

Makes a lot of sense (to use a weaker hook length) if you're using 8lb bs braid on a float rod.

I do it myself, but it's a worry .... with 3lb mono mainline, a 2lb hooklength might be appropriate. If you hook into a good fish the stretch on the line will be spread between the hooklength and mainline.

1.5 to 1, 5 to 4, 8 to 6 are probably all reasonable mainline / hooklength combinations.

But with braid mainline, won't the poor hooklength be taking *all* the stretch?

Here I'd agree with Leon. If you're going to use mono at the hook end, make it a decent length leader of b.s. appropriate to the b.s. of the hooklength.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

I do it myself, but it's a worry .... with 3lb mono mainline, a 2lb hooklength might be appropriate. If you hook into a good fish the stretch on the line will be spread between the hooklength and mainline.

1.5 to 1, 5 to 4, 8 to 6 are probably all reasonable mainline / hooklength combinations.

But with braid mainline, won't the poor hooklength be taking *all* the stretch?

Here I'd agree with Leon. If you're going to use mono at the hook end, make it a decent length leader of b.s. appropriate to the b.s. of the hooklength.

Never having used braid, it sounds logical to use a length of mono at least to bottom of the float.

Another thing that bothers me about braid, is when fishing it straight through to the hook, what happens to a fish that snags you and can't be moved? Do you cut the line and leave it tethered to the snag until it dies, or rips half its mouth off trying to escape? Or am I missing something?

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Never having used braid, it sounds logical to use a length of mono at least to bottom of the float.

Another thing that bothers me about braid, is when fishing it straight through to the hook, what happens to a fish that snags you and can't be moved? Do you cut the line and leave it tethered to the snag until it dies, or rips half its mouth off trying to escape? Or am I missing something?

If the hook is suited to the bs of the braid, a long slow pull, with the line wrapped around a bit of wood, will usually straighten the hook.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

If the hook is suited to the bs of the braid, a long slow pull, with the line wrapped around a bit of wood, will usually straighten the hook.

Thats if the snag allows you a direct pull on the hook!

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I agree in theory it makes sense but i've never had any prob's fishing straight through, mainline to hook. At the end of the day you have more chance of being snapped with a gut bottom as there are more weak spots so obviously you will get far more breaks therefore there will be many more fish swimming about with hooks and lines dangling from their mouths and a fish swimming round with any amount of line dangling from it's mouth, even if it's only a foot long isn't a good thing. I think it's each to his/her preferred method there are pro's and cons to both methods.

Tigger.

I don't know if i have been dreaming it, but can't you get Power Pro in 4 and 6lb ?

Not as far as I can tell. In fact, the line specs in metric vs. english are interesting.

From http://www.powerpro.com/using/specs.asp

pp.gif

For any who aren't comfortable with the conversions, the 0.005" diameter is 0.127mm and 5kg is nearly 13.5lbs

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I rarely fish a line straight through as the hooklength material is selected for optimum bait presentation.

eg stiffness/flexiblity, low diameter, invisibility (flourocarbon) etc

and the main line for a different quality

eg floating/sinking, abrasion resistance, cheapness etc

When I do use a line straight through, I always knot the line a short way up from the hook to create a weak point, knowing that if the line does break anywhere, it will be there, and a fish won't be towing perhaps metres of line and tackle if the worse comes to the worst.

I would never fish braid all of the way through because:

a) without any stretch and of such low diameter for strength it can act like a cheese-cutter wire, lifting scales and cutting deep into a hard-fighting fish

B) it lasts far longer than mono, and doesn't degrade nearly so quickly when exposed to UV light, so you really don't want metres of the stuff caught up on trees (above or below water!) to snag the wildlife, cutting into limbs/wings as they struggle to escape.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust