What weight approx

tincatinca

Whilst on a recent fishing holiday to Devon, I managed to catch a couple of decent Roach but unfortunately had no scales to hand as my mate had purloined mine and was down the other end of the lake. The ciggarette packet in the picture measures with a vernier 103mm long by 56mm deep so any ideas on the approximate weight of the fish.

post-8110-0-74624600-1402571615_thumb.jpg

It felt quite a bit bigger than a pound Ian. If you scale up the picture it comes in around 141/2 inches long and it was quite thick accross its back. A very Interesting and picturesque place which I will be going back to next year for an extended holiday as the biggest authenticated Roach from there in recent times was in excess of 3lb along with several different big 2s. As regards to whether it is a true Roach then I am sure that Vagabond and others will make the appropriate comments. The main target species in the lake were Carp which can be traced back to original Leney stocking but it was the other species that interested me most with Tench into double figures and Eels running over 6lb with my best over the week being a 7-01 Tench and a 5.02 Eel along with a few stunning looking Commons.

That's the problem with pic's Paul, they either magnify a fish or shrink it. On rare occassions it's easy to guess a fishes weight in a pic. Crackin looking fish whatever it weighed :thumbs: .

I'm confident it's a roach if that's what you thought it was when it was infront of you.

Edited by Tigger

I thought the scales looked a bit brassy too, but that's the problem with pictures, the light can play tricks.

I guess it at around 12" so would put it at around 1lb 8oz. A good fish.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I guess it at around 12" so would put it at around 1lb 8oz.

Blimey ! I think I ought to come up to Yorkshire to fish for your fat roach !

When I catch a 12" roach it's only an ounce or two over the pound .........

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

It is not a 12" fish in fact it is closer to 15". The ciggarette packet measured with a digital vernier reads spot on 103mm which converted to proper english is 4.055 inches. If you now use that measurement to scale the fish it comes close to 15 inches long which is why I am very interested in weight guestimations. By the same rule of thumb the depth of the fish comes extremely near to the length of the ciggarette packet so very close to 4" deep.

If it helps the fish in my user photo was a good chunky roach and went 1lb 1oz and the pin is 4.5 inch (114mm).

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep