Fixed Spool Reel

Powder Hound

can anyone recommend a good fixed spool reel to be used for beach casting ? are there ones that are specifically for getting distance as that is what I am looking for, or should I be looking at getting a multiplier, the thing thats putting me off a multiplier is the fact that left hand wind ones are few and far between

any advice appreciated

Hi Powder Hound,

Personally I'd stick with a Daiwa Emblem or Shimano Biomaster. Both have got a range to suit your pocket. The bigger spools will cast further and lay better line generally. Daiwa size 5500 or 6000 Emblems or Shimano Biomaster 8000 series will get you out there. Shimano Aerlex are reasonably good too and a bit cheaper.

ABU do some good left handed multipliers but the price is higher than the cheapest fixed spools.

I prefer using the multipliers but I can still hit 150/200 yards with the fixed spool everytime, no overruns, no birdsnests...no hassle. A good pendulum caster with a multi will always outcast the fixed spool though!!!

If your new to beach casting I would stick with the fixed spool and by a multi later to practice with...then you can practice with confidence...if it really gets in a mess, you can always fall back on the fixed spool and finish your session!

Enjoy the fishing whatever you choose, and don't get too hooked up on achieving big distance...half the time the fish are under our feet laughing as we cast to the horizon! :D

Set your budget too and stick to it. Buy the best you can within your budget...some of the gorgeous top of the range stuff is designed to catch anglers more than fish!!!...remember that old saying 'a fish caught on ropey tackle, beats 'no fish' on great tackle everytime!'

Some of the guys here on AN may have other recommendations... I can only speak of the gear I own and fish with.

Tight Lines :)

Art

Art's advice sounds spot on PH. I have just got myself a new Maver Tica GE8000 which looks and feels great and it only set me back 30 notes off of ebay. I also have a multi' but do have problems using it in low light conditions.

I'd advise sticking with a fixed spool first.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

thanks for the advice, I've seen a Daiwa Emblem 6000 advertised for 49.99 so I think I might go for this, as for the muliplier any recomendations for a good one to learn on, should I avoid ones with levelwind as I've heard that they can create more problems than they are worth ?

cheers

P H

Levelwinds are definately helpfull to those that are new to multipliers (I can vouch for that ), but they do cut down on casting distance.

I bought a Shakespeare Atlantis which was around £27, not the best by a long margin but perfectly adequate.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

I've only just got back into sea fishing and I thought I'd give a multiplier a go and (probably foolishly) shelled out on an Abu Sports Mag. A bit pricey and from what I can gather, its exactly the same as the Abu Mag Elite, just with a different mechanism for tuning the magnet setting.

But... the reel is really easy to cast (and I'm assuming the Mag Elite is too). Its got centrifugal and mag brakes. I started off with mags on quite high, and now have got the confidence to cast with mags set at lowest setting, with no birdsnests. No doubt better casters than me will tune the reel properly and remove one/all brake blocks and lube correctly! To be honest, even just using it straight from the box with no tuning, I'm getting decent range and I'm catching fish. Next time, I wouldn't bother with the Sports Mag though - just made to look pretty (and as Artful said, it caught the angler...) :D

I've heard that Penn 525 Mags are good too, but they run a bit fast. Don't know if anyone else has any views on that one.

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

I use both the Penn 525 Mag and the Abu Mag Elite.

Both great reels .. but I think the 525 may just have the edge ....

The Older I get .. The better I was.

525 magg is the mutts nutts so far for me, I know alot compolain the y dont las tfor long, But all you need to do is set the mags on as low as they gow and aslong as you give reasonable controll it never blows up, Ive found with it using 18lb line ive added 50 yards to my cast, i used the sports mag also with finding it just a tiny wee bit less smoot,

As concerns the fixed spool, emblem is the buisness for casting poulling power the lot, and 50 quid dont think that can be beat, i love mine,

Tight Lines

Shaun

i have used mitchell reels models 306, 486,never had any major problems with them they are real work-horses and pretty cheap to buy on e-bay,the small problem i had with one was the bail-arm came over in mid cast so i cut it off and used it as a manual pick up the 486 will drag a boat to shore