The Origins of Life Poll  

75 members have voted

1. 1. What theory best describes your beliefs on the origins of life on earth

• Creationism
    • Intelligent Design
    • Evolution
    • Other
    • Don't know

Put some people in a separate environment and they will after time develop their own religion. Be it the sun, moon or a tree etc.

Bad back's. This is a sign of the body showing it's age, remember that in our western world our avarage lifespan is exended over and above only a hundred years ago. Yes the Bible quotes a man living to three score years and ten, leaving aside the examples of men living to fantastic ages, it was normal for mankind to only live for 30 - 40 years or so before illness ( old age? ) stepped in.

As mankind finds ways of extending life, say if a cure for all cancers is developed, then another ailment will becomes the big killer.

So apart from the answer to the ultimate question being "42", where did time start? ( when will time end? ), where does space extend to? . . and if you have an answer, whats outside that? there must be somthing? How did matter come into exsistance? If there was a big bang the matter can not have appeared from nowhere!

We only use a small percentage of our brains ( well I do ), so perhaps once we learn to use our full potential well be able to absorb the large picture.

Answers on a postcard to . . . .

Andrew Boyd

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The space available.

:blink::blink::blink:

Space, an integral part of the universe, is expanding.

Just as there is no time before time, there is no place beyond space.

Anywhere you stand in the universe, every galaxy is going away from you, and the further out they are the quicker they are moving away from you.

It's been described as being like a currant pudding in an oven, that is growing.

Every currant sees every other currant moving away from it, as the pudding gets bigger.

If the expansion continues, one day all other galaxies will be so far away from ours that you won't be able to see them, and the universe will become cold with no possibility of life.

The other alternative is that the gravitation of the universe will gradually stop the contraction and the expansion will reverse and the univers collapse back in on itself (in which case it's goiung to get very hot, too hot for any life, long before the final collapse to a single point (no width, height, breadth or time, just a point).

It's interesting that the calculations of the mass available in the universe are balanced so finely, there is no clear indication of which fate awaits the universe.

(I'm not going to worry too much because I might be dead by then)

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Bad back's. This is a sign of the body showing it's age,

Plenty of people as young as twenty-something get dodgy backs. Mine hit in my mid-thirties.

Yes it gets worse with age, as do all manner of other things, joint mobility for example.

but the underlying reason for dodgy backs is that the human spine is poorly designed for standing upright - in the vast majority of people it is the first structural part of the body to show wear and tear. "Intelligently designed" it ain't.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Plenty of people as young as twenty-something get dodgy backs. Mine hit in my mid-thirties.

Yes it gets worse with age, as do all manner of other things, joint mobility for example.

but the underlying reason for dodgy backs is that the human spine is poorly designed for standing upright - in the vast majority of people it is the first structural part of the body to show wear and tear. "Intelligently designed" it ain't.

Like piles, it's the consequence of an animal designed by evolution to walk on all fours, deciding that standing upright is cool!

RNLI Shoreline Member

why should the maker of the creator be a who
good point

:thumbs:

Leon's unfaltering stance on the non existence of time before the Big Bang has caused me to dig deep into the current theories of the origins of the universe. I admit that the theory does state that time was created at the point of the Big Bang, hence to talk about time existing before is not correct.

I have read a lot and understood little, but I can say that many great minds all around the world are restless and are searching for answers, answers to why, how and yes you guessed it what caused the Big Bang? If something caused the Big Bang, then it must have been in existence prior to the Big Bang. It may not have existed in time or space as we know it, but it must have existed. If time started at the point of the Big Bang then it must have existed prior to the Big Bang.

You may still have a problem with saying before or prior to the Big Bang as this is a measure of time, and as you have defended this point with such vigour. All I will say is there are a great number of scientists spending a lot of time considering this very concept and I hope you would not dismiss there ponderings as nonsense as you did mine.

Best regards

www.aberporthholidays.co.uk

Regular launch: Aberporth West Wales.

Yak: Malibu II XL

Just had a quick look at the voting stats. Evolution has 80%

What is really amazing though is that NONE of us have ticked "Don't Know"

Clearly Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle doesn't exist on this thread :)

Go on Leon - say that it must do! :P

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Before the Big Bang, there was Time, but not as we know it.

Voltaire said, I believe "If we didn't have Religion, someone would have to invent it."

Religion is a convenient way of explaining things to people whose minds aren't capable of understanding everything.

Everybody has different a level of understanding, so religion works at different levels for different people.

When you reach your brain's limitations, Religion comes in handy, doesn't it Leon?

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Clearly Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle doesn't exist on this thread :)

Go on Leon - say that it must do! :P

It's difficult really because it might or might not.

The trouble is that to tell you have to observe it, and can then only see it from your particular frame of reference in space time, which may be different to another observer in a different frame of reference, and having observed, you have fundamentally affected the outcome. :(

:)

(ps You ain't gonna believe this but our cat, which would have been 21 years old come April, had to be put down this evening :( )

Explanation: http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi347.htm

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member