75 members have voted

1. 1. What theory best describes your beliefs on the origins of life on earth

• Creationism
    • Intelligent Design
    • Evolution
    • Other
    • Don't know

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4648598.stm

I have just read this news item over on the BBC site and I was a bit disturbed by some of the statistics.

If the results were from the US I would be less concerned. I know that about half the population of the states are some kind of weird bible thumping christian fundamentalists of one kind or another, who think that the earth is only some 5000 years old (a bit like the Taleban on burgers) but I am rather surprised that in a MORI poll of 2000 Brits asking about the origins of life that 22% chose creationism

17% opted for intelligent design but 'only' 48% chose evolution. Whilst 48% is still the majority that still leaves 39% that subscribe to some mythical supreme being responsible for creating life.

So what do you believe in? Creationism, Intelligent Design, Evolution or are you a 'Don't know'?

It would be nice if we could all discuss this without any rattles getting chucked out of any prams.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent post on an interesting topic!

Did anyone see the recent Horizon programme on intelligent design? The proponents put this forward as a "scientific" theory. But it got debunked by both scientists and the US Court. The latter concluded it was religion and therefore couldn't be taught in science lessons.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I am an unrepentant Darwinist.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

But what percentage of those asked understood the question? :rolleyes:

:D:D

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I'd add that anything - like believing that the earth is flat - can be put forward as a theory. It doesn't make it science though!

It's interesting that many scientists are also deeply religious. Many believe that a Supreme Being created the laws of the universe, even if they don't believe in the Bible. What's more, some religions like Hinduism put the creation of the universe many billions of years in the past.

Horizon interviewed the Catholic priest who runs the Vatican observatory who believes in evolution, and he feels that intelligent design could destroy both science and religion!

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

What do you mean by "Intelligent Design" ?

Designed by WHAT Intelligence ?

How does Intelligent Design differ from Creationism?

...or are you saying Creationism is Unintelligent Design? (Religionists won't like that)

...or Creationism has deliberately built-in imperfections? (so much for "caring" gods and godesses)

You CAN make a case for Evolution being Unintelligent Design -

Say a plant or creature evolved to fill a particular niche, which seemed a good idea at the time. However, Evolution has no intelligence - it can't plan ahead. So if conditions change, an organism is in danger of extinction if it can't adapt.

Take an example.

I believe man evolved as an arboreal four limbed creature, which eventually tried to (or maybe had to as trees became sparser due to climate change?) stand on the ground on two legs (Homo erectus) The mammalian skeleton is poorly designed for standing upright. Man's skeleton has adapted a bit, but not enough to overcome the basically flawed design for a biped.

His/her back has been aching ever since !! Think of all the physios, osteopaths, chiropractors etc etc making a living out of it, to say nothing of conventional medicine.

Now if you believe in intelligent design, no-one's back should ache. Clearly not true.

If you believe in creationism, you must accept the image of a somewhat spiteful creator that deliberately left the majority of us with dodgy backs.

Evolution (and its limitations) is thus the only rational explanation for a chronic backache - not a serious enough handicap to put us in danger of extinction, but damned painful nonetheless.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Evolution thats what my money is on. Religious activity is a total waste of time, I might change my mind however if I was actually to see a ghost on Most Haunted. :o

Dodgy question really.

Evolution deals with the diversification and increasing complexity of life, not it's origin.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

the badge i have on the back of the car makes it clear enough i think :)

i find it abhorrent that the government want creationism to be taught in schools.

and that's my last word on the matter :)

though obviously i believe in ghosts, everyone must keep watching the show :)

post-4104-1138728032_thumb.jpg