Wedding Photography

Cameraman

OK how late have I left it, Sons wedding tomorrow, been let down, now have to do all wedding photos myself. Any tips?

I have done the usual, checked and double checked all equipment, charged batteries, cleared memory cards, new batts and spares for flash, made a rough list to commit to memory of all pics needed, tripod packed into car allready. Dusted off film SLR as back up. Everything going smooth at moment, too smooth, so what have i missed?

Bearing in mind I have to be in some of pics, what advice can anyone give, I'm worrying allready!!

Thanks in advance

Cameraman

If all else fails, follow the intructions.

Photographing Weddings written and posted here in December by our own Steve Randles.
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Dont get flustered, dont drink, (untill all your shots are done of course). Take a reflecter to ensure close up portrait shots have enough light, dont have one? A sheet of A4 paper works well, just hold a piece of this close to someones face and you'll see its value. Be aware of where the sun is in relation to the shots your planning to take, and remember direct sunlight on faces is way to harsh and tends to make people squint. See if you can get an usher to help you to gather the people you want for each shot.

Enjoy the day and dont pester the bridesmaids.. :clap2:

Good luck

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Have a set format in your mind .. possibly a list .. of the shots that you need to take.

As well as the more formal traditional shots try to get some off-beat funny shots as well, but stay away from the corny stuff!! Turn unusual events to your advantage.

Take at least 2 shots of every picture. If you have to resort to the film camera, make sure the film don't snap half way through the roll !! It happened to me once ... not funny.

Remember this is a fun day, so enjoy yourself. :lol::lol:

And ..... Good Luck !! :thumbs::thumbs:

The Older I get .. The better I was.

Thanks guys, advice appreciated, especially the reflector tip.

I can see it being a long day for me.

I paid for a free bar as well, and I'll miss that :(

Regards

Cameraman

Theres a wedding photographer on this site, see if he's available, David W from Fife, is that near you?

Good Luck.

I'd definitely be looking for back up, it is very unfair that you helped pay for everything and now have to work all day. Kidnap a photographer if you have to.

Edited by TubularBelle
I hate getting up early, I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!

Enjoy the day and dont pester the bridesmaids.. :clap2:

:lol:

Cameraman, good luck to you & I hope all goes well for your son & his intended. I can't help with the wedding photos, I think I'd be that worried I was going to mess up I wouldn't beable to hold the camera steady.

Don't forget to come back & share a few photos with us, especially of those bridesmaids. ;)

The day went well, allthough i did make some terrible mistakes. The worst were inside where i took the metering from the dress and not the huge window behind, leaving faces too dark. I can alter the brightness and contrast on these, so not too much drama. The bride and groom have viewed all and are happy, but i still think i could have done better. I wouldn't want to do wedding photos again in a hurry. I'm posting some for you to view, and welcome constructive critisism. Once again thanks to those who replied in the very short time space i gave, (and Fife is about 500 miles or so)

My favourite bridesmaid - my grandaughter

IMG_0138.jpg

The bride and groom

IMG_0167.jpg

Bride and brothers

d0053130.jpg

Bride and Groom and both parents (I'm the big bald one on the left)

33fa4ad7.jpg

Edited by Cameraman

Cameraman,

If you want me to have a shot at post processing your shots for you, let me know. I can pm you my home address so you can post a disc of the original shots at full resolution. I'll do what I can with them and post them back, its surprising what I can do with even the very worst shots.

This is an offer extended as you where at the very last minute thrown into the fire so to speak, to do the job. And is I might add, offered for free because all weding day shots are kept for life and should be the best that can be done.

Steve

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet