what multiplier to choose

dale

got a few pennies to spend on a new reel but can't decide what to spend them on. :headhurt:

want a meduim sized boat multiplier.

shimano 2000ld had that and it was junk. :(

abu 7000ldc4 was even worse, all 3 of them. :wallbash:

abu 6600ld nice reel but too small. :)

shimano tld 15 got one but its too big.

abu bg7000ld got that but i have my doubts as to wether it will last.

diawa ld. good reel but suffered from corrosion far too quickly.

get the idea. tackle tart :blink:

now i'm in the market again.

does anyone have opinions on the following.

penn international 975csld

shimano trinidad tn14,16 range

or maybe something else?

got a few pennies to spend on a new reel but can't decide what to spend them on. :headhurt:

or maybe something else?

dale,

gordon has a trinidad 20 he might sell, but it won't be cheap as he hasn't used it yet

he loves the 16 version he has for codding off the rocks

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

Check out the Avet thread dale, lots of 'big up's' going on for them.

Scotty

or maybe something else?

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time

or maybe something else?

SL30SH. Around £70 from quite a few places now, you cannot get a better reel for the money, and they are damn good compared to other reels at full price anyway! The Penn 975 looks nice, and should be good internally, but it is still an alloy reel, and susceptible to corrosion. If it's leverdrag with no levelwind then it should be great, assuming you want leverdrag. I personally set my star drags correctly and never have a problem. the SL30SH has plenty of capacity, I have 300yds of 50lb braid and backing on mine. Drag is silky smooth, and it's pretty corrosion-proof as long as you take it to bits and grease all the screws, handle nut and handle.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

This is an old chestnut :headhurt: One says one thing, one says the other. Not suprised you did not like the 7000LD's in my humble opinion the worst reel ABU have made for a long time. You can keep all your modern reels, modern technology seems to relish in making thigs small, cheap and use plastic all over the place :thumbdown: I'm entitled to my opinion.

I have 6 ABU 7000's my favourits are a pair of 7500's, they do everything from drifting for bass to landing big male Top with attitude. My 7000 colection date back to pre 1985, when I bough a SH bog standard red 3C, probably dates to circa 79/80? Since then one has added as the opportunity presented. Three were new and three have been pre owned, did have a 6500 as well, the clutch on that was c**p!, it literaly went over the side of the boat one day, a BIG bass ripped it from my hand, clutch was tight'ish but it should have given on the lung!!! gladd to see the back of it, 'insurance claim' :oops:

All my 7000's get constant use, although that first one sees the least nowa'days, semi retirement :P . I give all the reels a servise once a year, and the reels in use on any one day get a complete fresh water hose down, rod and all. Needless to say, I am still using the original rods from 85 as well :sun:

Most ABU's are build to last, treat them right and they will serve you well. :icecream: Treat any reel with contempt and one day it might cost you a PB, but then youll neaver know, I have never forgotten that bass lung, it haunts me :blink::lol:

:ph34r:

Edited by CJS2

• 3 weeks later...

Ive only ever given reels away or sold them ive never had one break in use I have owend penn sea boys and squiders as a lad when you used to buy a anti backlash device in order to cast them,Ive owend Diawas,Shimanos,Penns,Abu's ,mitchells they have all served a purpose when used in the right context they have been cleaned after every trip and serviced regularly. There are some that are better than others but that is a personal thing rather than a fault of the reel I would advise you to get the best you can afford and look after it. :)

the SL range are good value and have stood the test of time

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!