New Boy! - Caper v Prowler 13

kishkash

Hi

im new to the sport, having had last season in a sport yak dinghy...to great success i must add (see avatar) but very slow rowing it was.

now on sale!

im just after what you guys think the pros and cons are of both boats.

to give some background on me and the way i want to work:

- im a surfer, know my local offshore area, fairly fit

- like to travel light

- like to move quickly

- like to know what the best in the industry is for my needs

- wanna be able to lift it without trolley from beach to car - 500m

- want fit birds to swoon over it and me and invite me out to dinner ( nah forget that one ;))

any help much appreciated and im glad to be a new member of your clan.

rich

iz from North Devon - Prowler 13 - Travel light, keep 'em tight - ooh!

2007 Catches: Sea Trout 3/4 lb,.........

2007 Endeavours: Investigate the estuary

MyFishingKayak.co.uk

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just sold my Caper and will pick up my new Prowler tomorrow.Reasons:Whilst bieng a comfortable and stable fishing platform I found the Caper a bit slow and with most of my favourite fishing spots a good paddle distance a damn hard slog at times.Also I reckon fit birds will swoon over the Prowler more ;) where are you from kishkash-I'm sure there will be some paddlers from your area that use this forum-maybe you could get along to where they fish one day to see rigged kayaks ready for action. :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Hi KishKash

Welcome to the forum.

Given your list of requirements this is a tough one. After paddling a Caper for a season I would have advised to go for the Prowler 13. Like Richi I've ended up being on the water when the winds picked up a lot, have been in tidal races and areas where there are strong currents and the Caper is not up to this.

But given that are looking for something very portable the Caper is very good. Short paddles and no strong currents the Caper is fine... any kind of distance with adverse weather and strong currents stay away.

Whilst researching which kayak to buy you will find that there is no perfect kayak for yak fishing. From the current models available, the P13 is arguably the best all rounder reflected by its popularity here and on other forums.

For what its worth I'll be buying a faster kayak later on this year but will keep the Caper.

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hi KishKash,

Welcome, like Speciman has already said it's a tough one, another worth looking at is the ScupperPro TW Angler, it's faster than the Prowler 13, very slightly heavier.

500m is a fair old carry without a trolley and would suspect that the Caper would be the only real choice due to its much lighter weight it's also easy to carry on the shoulder.

Why no trolley, there are versions available now that will stow very easily, I stow mine on the crate with the wheels sticking up, it's very secure and well out the way. With the aid of wheels you will be able to carry all your gear straight to the waters edge, stow the wheels and away. If your carrying it all it may take a couple of trips.

Are you going to be fishing off beaches with surf, this could cut your options even further, you may need to go with a STEALTH or KAZKAZI composite kayak from South Africa, both have designs for fishing and may be better behaved in the surf. I've found the Caper to be a bit of a handful in the surf and prefer the Prowler in small waves. If the waves are big I'm guessing you'll be surfing.

As for the fit birds, how could they resist a chap with a big paddle :D

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Hi there, having had both the prowler 13 and now the P15, I would go back to the P13. I find that the longer P15 is much more of a handfull when trying to get on and off the roof rack, but better on the water. Nowever has to fit birds No none of the above worked for me :(:( . If you want fit birds get a 911 works all day for my mate. terry

If only I had all the money for all the toys I want,;-(

Got most of them now, Just working on that Harley in blue ;-)

Hi there, having had both the prowler 13 and now the P15, I would go back to the P13. I find that the longer P15 is much more of a handfull when trying to get on and off the roof rack, but better on the water. Nowever has to fit birds No none of the above worked for me :(:( . If you want fit birds get a 911 works all day for my mate. terry

I don't wish to hijack this thread but have to ask ( :) ) - Terry how did you find the P15 better on the water? The P15, Dorado and Tarpon 160i are on my list of possibles for my next yak. I'm not too fussed about how hard it is manage off the water (I'll have the Caper when for I need to go light).

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Cheers guys

thanks to all of you for your responses - very helpful

sounds like the prowler 13 then

the only reason i say "without a trolley" is that i really do like travelling light but maybe i'll change my mind as i get more into the sport. trolley does make sense.

Im launching mostly out of the slipway at croyde or the corner at putsborough in north devon - i know a couple of guys that fish from longboards and stuff but there arent many serious kayak fishers up here.

the guy that stocks ocean kayaks in woolacombe was cool when i went in the other day. he says he usually gets morte point to himself, so im looking forward to getting away from the crowds in a couple of months.

There are a couple of tough races off baggy and morte point so the p13 sounds good.

cheers

iz from North Devon - Prowler 13 - Travel light, keep 'em tight - ooh!

2007 Catches: Sea Trout 3/4 lb,.........

2007 Endeavours: Investigate the estuary

MyFishingKayak.co.uk

If you like to travel light and are looking at those races have a look at the Scupperpro. The P13 has more storage but the Scupper handles the big wet stuff better and is quicker. Down side its not for big blokes. Also length is nearly 15ft but weighs only 55lb. Worth a look atleast. Its also a lot cheaper.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

KishKash,

I'am looking at buying my first kayak very shortly and have been pondering different ones for months. Having not padlled before (apart from two weeks arsing about in the surf in Cuba 5 years ago and a couple of paddles in the lakes) the decision on what to buy is a daunting one. :blink:

However for what it's worth after exhaustive searching on sites in the states and over hear the scupper pro seems to come out on top (speed/ride) but its not for the larger guy as the cockpit space is not as large as the Prowler.

My choice is between these two but I have been looking at the new Malibu X-Factor, does anyone know any more on the Malibu, if so I would be interested.

Nemo,

Perception Freedom Angler