Guilty secrets.

ayjay

Steve,

Is that anything like a cold beer and slice of American plastic cheese?

Phone

To bad Chesters1 is so narrow minded. He could eat high on the hog in the US. The bits he relishs are offal.

my mead was as simple as it came! tonnes of honey, lemon juice and water....

nearly impossible to buy these days...everything you find is a "wine made with honey"...so you get this grape juice **** flavoured with honey and flowers and herbs and all manner of shite!!

had an argument with a bloke at a farmers market a few weeks back about his "mead"...when I looked at his labelling it was simply a fortified and flavoured wine with honey added as flavouring instead of sugar! told him that wasn't mead...he wasn't impressed! LOL

told him that at most original mead had spices, local fruit and grains/hops (hops for preservative) but was essentially simply honey fermented with water...if your basing your mead on a fermented grape wine then its simply not mead! its honeyed wine! LOL

the proper stuff will usually come out round about 7-8% vol and ive known it to have a slight sparkle as well...the last batch I made you wouldn't have known was alcoholic at all until you tried to stand up!! hit you right in the knee caps and wouldn't let go! hehehe

Edited by kirisute

Some of mine was pretty strong - I made one to finish sweet using a high alcohol tolerance yeast, so high teens %. That was good stuff, but needed a long time in the bottle. Some of it I ended up giving away as Xmas presents, and added a bit of vanilla pod, clove, cinnamon and citrus peel to the bottles.

I made some dry sparkling versions as well, using the same technique you use to carbonate bottled beer. That was excellent!

Steve,

Is that anything like a cold beer and slice of American plastic cheese?

Phone

To bad Chesters1 is so narrow minded. He could eat high on the hog in the US. The bits he relishs are offal.

They are almost offal here to Mr Bush ,theres middle class spam and theres low end luncheon meat which i prefer ,theres a chopped ham and pork midway but i prefer cheap Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I used to make my own mead! dangerous stuff indeed! lol

Ha a taste of Grandads brew when I was young never again I can still feel it burning now lol

Number me with Rage it,s a shame Number me in Haste its a shame

I expect its drinkable distilled but i have never seen it in the uk ,we used to distil the poor cider when the apple choice was scarce but being young in the end justfermented plain old water and sugar and distilled that ,the taste was irrelevant ,if it took the wax off floor tiles it was strong enough

A mix of sherry and champagne yeast got the highest alcohol content before it died of drunkeness ,then we made it really nice!

We used to brew/ ferment anything we could ,one time we mashed a hundred weight of overripe strawberries and made that into beer ,it was ghastly but distilled ok

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson