Best fishing achievement?

Jamie Beard

I had got up early in the morning on a quite cold saturday morning about 3quarters of the way through summer. Me and a friend had been dropped off at the lake at about 7 o'clock by by father and i was optomistic about catching a few decent bream (about 2lb) because i had been doing in regulary after school for some weeks. What i had learnt about bream is that they have very good eyes and they will only take if they cant see the hook. So i had been advised to use a size 18 hook and 4lb line on my reel (abit strong i no, but it saved me as you will hear later). For bait i was using sum bread squashed onto my hook, and i was fishing right at the bottom, behind some lilly pads on my favourite peg where i had previously been successful. After baiting upmy swin with about 5 loafs of squashed bread i was ready for the off. Didnt get any bites until about half an hour in but i never even thought about getting bore as i knew anything can happen when fishing for bream.When the bites started coming i was optimistic of a bream but out popped a roach, quite small in size but was battling away. First fish of the day then and plenty more to come (i hoped). It went quite after that for a few hours but i was always on my guard as i kept getting little bites on my float. After about 2 hours i was feeling downhearted that nothing was going to take my bait, until my float shot away under the water. i struck the fish and thought that it was a bream that was just going to roll over and come in. (how wrong was i). Then i thought that it was a big crucian carp fiteing its wayabout. 5 minutes late still pulling through the water going up and dwon, but still no where near the top, until suddenly a golden orange shadow appeared and i realised i had hook into a ghost carp. As i was attempting to land it all that was going through my mid was the size of my hook and the strengh of my line. i was sure i was going to snap until it rolled over on top of the water and i immeiately brought it to the landing net. My 5th carpever and all on gear that i thought wouldnt hold a 5 carp! later on i weighed the fish and it was 10 pounds, i was estatic! After that my day was complete and i fished on for a while longer but the carp had destroyed my swim but i was satisfied with my days work and went home. Went at 7 home for 11 and another carp in the bag, what a day!

what are your fishing achievements, this was ine wanted to make it into like a story of events to mak it more interesting. i will oput the picture of the carp under neath because its not letting me put it on here.

sorry it wont let me add the picture because the attachment is to big sorry.but if you go on my website you can see it but i have cut my head off on it because girls from my year in school go on it and i look terrible. if you wanna see it with my heapage on my website on it if you dont believe me i will email it to you.

My fishing page

the picture im talkin about you will notice i have ni head. pleae go and visit the link because i really want you to see the picture.

I think my greatest achievement was that I managed to halt my downward progress when slithering down a v.slippy bank at great speed, stopping inches from the fast river current with my legs dangling over the edge and not dropping my sons new Wilson avon system rod !

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

My best fishing achievement was swapping a giant marble for my first fishing rod......40 years ago!

Oh before any one says it Im not still using it!..................

Leon brought it off me when he was modernising his gear! (not realy!)

Getting in to angling was the best thing that ever happened to me.

My life so far has been very colourfull and most certainly up and down! Ive lived in several different countries,done a huge variety of jobs,been married,single and every thing in between! Had kids and grand kids.Done stuff Im proud of and stuff I regret.Made good decisions and bad ones.Been rich (er well nearly!) and poor.

But the one constant is that Ive been fishing.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

probably my first 20+ pike,

i had spent nearly 4 months with very little to show for my efforts,altho i knew a good fish was in residence i couldnt seem to find her,then one sunday in december 2003 i got my take.

the fight was unreal,i have had some good carp that have scrapped, but this was a river fish in a current and she wasnt havin it!

took line several times as i pumped her towards me,the sight of that pike coming upstream on the surface made my knees go weak,she was netted on the second attempt,by myself, i always wondered what a big pike will look like infront of me now i know...they look amazing.

i will never forget that day and the effort and pain in trying to get that fish. even if i get one bigger that will mean the most to me my first 20.

went back about year later(october) and found a fish on a gravel run,looked a good double,so i stalked it,fialed to catch her after she picked up n dropped a roach bait,went back next week popped up a sardine on the gravel run....10 mins later i was weighing a 19+,excellent im thinking....no...same fish in autumn trim! doh! never been back since.

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

The fishing achievement that has given me by far the most pleasure is setting up and developing my lakes at Wingham. It's been an uphill task, but has been well worth all the hard work. I like to think that the best is yet to come, and that I can pass something onto the next generation.

Likewise I hope that my writing will live on after I'm gone, and that it's helped others catch. Thankfully "The Book of the Perch" was a team effort, and wouldn't have been such a success without Peter Rogers. I'm not a natural writer and my solo book ("Perch and the Perchfisher") is taking longer to write than I expected. I'll certainly feel that it's an achievement when I deliver it to the publisher!

As to what I consider my best fish, it wasn't a perch, nor was it even a personal best. I've told the story here before, but many won't have heard it.

It concerns the problem I had with a chub I named Oswald. Why Oswald? Well it was the name Dick Walker gave to a trout he wrote about in "Drop Me a Line". Both his trout and my chub were in very difficult positions.

In my case, despite approaching Oswald as carefully as I could, I always spooked him. After several weeks of this I finally worked out a solution, (Yes, I know I'm slow on the uptake!)

Having spooked him for the umpteenth time, I measured out the length of the cast from a position well back from the bank and totally out of sight. The following day I returned, aimed at a marker on the far bank and cast into the water totally blind.

Thirty seconds later Oswald was on the bank. All two pounds fourteen ounces of him!

He's far from being the heaviest chub I've caught. In fact, he wasn't even the heaviest that day.

But he is my most memorable fish!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

About 25 years ago when my mates took me coarse fishing for the first time and I caught a load of stunnted Rudd.

The bug took a big bite and I still have the teeth marks!!!!!!!!!!

Another achivement was a new species two weeks ago.

My first ever Ruffe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I think my best fishing achiement was helping my Son catch his first fish. Local pond, floatfishing with maggots, he caught a small perch first cast, and went on to catch several perch roach and rudd in a two hour session.

I didn't even fish myself that day, although I did help him a bit with casting, but it was the most satisfying days fishing I can remember. I took more pleasure out of that than any of my own catches.

Picture here if anyones interested, (I think I may have posted this before)

http://www.thehillmans.co.uk/gallery/Coars...his_first_perch

Mat

Mat