PC's - enough is enough

kleinboet

A Londerner is instantly recognised because of his accent as are Tynesiders, Yorkshiremen, Brummies etc. Do you want them to stop talking because the Brummie accent "offends" some people.

I wish I was as confident as you about "instantly" recognising accents. I'm a Londoner, but I haven't got a pronounced accent. I have trouble distinguishing any of the various West Country accents from each other. Plenty of people have "mixed" accents because they've moved around a lot, or lived in different countries.

I have heard lots of people with coloured skins talking in broad versions of all the accents you mention above, plus plummy "Oxford" English.

Apart from occasional newspaper reports of dubious veracity and intent, I have seen no evidence of attempts to prevent English people doing English stuff. Morris Dancers are still allowed to black their faces at the Rochester Sweeps' Festival, Bonfire Night revellers in Lewes (Sussex) are still allowed to burn anyone they like in effigy, etc.

What *is* being encouraged is diversity - allowing everyone to express themselves. I can remember the "No coloureds, no Irish, no dogs" signs on boarding house doors in London in the 1950s (and even early 60s) and have no wish to return to those days.

As for everyone being coffee-coloured and all alike, I can't think of anything more dull and *lacking* in diversity. And as someone else has already pointed out, that wouldn't stop people hating each on some other pretext anyway, so what would be the point?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd much rather grow vegetables than debate with them. It's a shame you can't see the irony that it's ill-informed, polarised, media drip-fed attitudes like yours that are causing problems in this country.

I'm out of here. As you were, gentlemen. Please continue your simplistic tirade on behalf of all the put-upon, poor, white men in the country. They need your support.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Gozza - you asked me to explain (sorry about the delay, had to bury the mother-in-law) so I shall. You , and all the PC's would like to see the world full of coffee coloured people who are all alike. When you have finished with the human race, maybe you would like to start on the dogs. We only have ONE dog family, but to use the reasoning you use for humans, a Sheepdog can't round up sheep for fear of "offending" a Bloodhound - A Bloodhound cannot be used as a tracker dog for fear of "offending" a Pekinese. Can you see how STUPID your reasoning sounds when you take it away from mankind. We have diversity in ENGLAND. A Londerner is instantly recognised because of his accent as are Tynesiders, Yorkshiremen, Brummies etc. Do you want them to stop talking because the Brummie accent "offends" some people.

But I forgot, you only want change if people are a different colour.

I have news for you, I and I am sure there are others like me, don't SEE colour, I see the person!!

Kleinboet, First I'd like to offer my condolences on the loss in your family.

I have re-read my posts and still don't know what you are on about. Have you got my posts mixed up with someone elses?

I have clearly stated that I am against PC, racism and discrimination on anything other than my personal evaluation of an individual.

So what's the problem?

Anderoo are your comments aimed at all posters on this thread or just some?

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

DavyR Your memory is lacking (perhaps you're too young) what about the banning of golliwogs, the Red Cross refusing to aknowledge Christmas, The police settling out of court just the other day for deleting an applicant because he was white, as they wanted "ethnic Minorities".

I could go on and on. Let's face it PC is out of control and the worst of it is, the "ethnic minorities" are embarrassed that the PC's don't ask them first!!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

OK, last one to reply to Gozzer - not all, no, just some.

Kleinboet, maybe it's because black people were discriminated against for years and the police force is not representative of society, thereby compromising it's efficiency and further polarising communities. Just a thought.

Right, I'm really going now.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

You're out of date re golliwogs, btw:

http://www.sterlingtimes.co.uk/golly2.htm

Every Teddy Bear shop sells them these days.

Davy, there was a report in a Herefordshire newspaper, (Ledbury Reporter I think, been looking for the link can't find it.) that a shopowner was called to his shop on a Sunday morning by the police. He rushed round thinking he had been burgled. It turned out that someone had taken offence at some Gollywogs in the window and complained. The offending toys were 'confiscated' pending further possible action by the police.

The shopowner had more in the back, these were not taken. The owner said that Gollywogs were one of his best sellers and that his best customer was an elderly black lady who collected them. This was only a couple of weeks ago. Wish I could find that damn link.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Gozzer, I think the situation re complaints about golliwogs is like the deleting of messages or threads on this forum - action has to be taken by authority in response to a complaint, and some complaints are just plain mischievous, as is their subsequent reporting by the media.

I know that local papers get a bit hard up for things to write about, but why would this be news unless it was designed to outrage a certain element of public opinion?

This is the news report you were looking for, btw:

http://www.24dash.com/content/news/viewNew...D=7&newsID=3588

Yes Davy thanks, thats the one, (though I seem to remember it being longer, maybe my age :) )

It's events like this, and the authorities reaction to them, that arouse bad feeling in a large part of the community. We have just had a thread on the angling forum, about what to report and wasting police time.

In a case like this surely the authorities should deal with it in a more 'common sense' manner.

If it was a mischievous complaint, then the police should be able to use some discretion, in dealing with the matter. Calling the man out on a Sunday morning, instead of a discrete word in his ear, is just asking for the reaction it got.

I suppose the paper, thinks it's news and as such, it's their job to report it.