Mullet Season 2006

Matt Baldwin

Still loads of mullet trying to get through the New Bridge sluices into Radipole lake.

As soon as the outflow stops, they disperse into the rest of the harbour until the next tide.

Yes your right there Jim , Mike Channon reckons they are all thins? Funny enough I just caught 2 thins on bread tonight off the top. It seems they have switched onto the bread as well? I have never known the thins to feed so well on the bread as they are doing at the moment. Prehaps it is just the sheer numbers of them in there that is making them compete at the moment for any food?

If you see me down the harbour introduce yourself Jim. I'm always down there as you can probably see.

8 fish on 12 visits in Weymouth Harbour the figures are getting better!

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there room to get a backcast in with the fly rod at Weymouth? I've driven past the spot loads of times, but buggered if I can remember what, on the bank.

I think you would have trouble if you tried fly-fishing in Weymouth Harbour. They won't even allow feathering off the pier nowadays.

Plenty of room up the Fleet though.

Buy a ticket for Radipole Lake and pretend to be fishing for trout later in the summer. That might be an option.

If you want to see the fish we are talking about, go to the top end of the harbour and stand on the footbridge opposite the sluices as the tide falls and the outflow water holds the flaps open.

Edited by Jim Roper

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Got my first of the year out of the Mersey this morning. So if they are feeding up here in the freezing north you guys in warmer climes should be laughing.

Went out mulleting at Marchwood this afternoon. Did not see one mullet. Blanked.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

HI,

just to let you know that i had a phone call last night from Andrew Boyd regarding the capture of a 4lb 9oz mullet from the River Medway.

its about time they started to feed.

Hia's All

Yep took in in the pouring rain on Tuesday evening.

Fished Gillingham Pier last night due to the wind ( and forcast rain ) . . nothing, not even a knock, though the rod tips were bouncing about all over the place . . enough to have the bread dancing which would have put off any respectable Mullet! But I stuck it out ( hero or fool? ).

Nice to see several School Bass caught and six decent Eel's ( largest about 3.5lbs ) . . all returrned.

Watched a Cormorant fighting a 2lb Eel, it kept diving down with it, the Eel spect most it it's time wrapped and thrashing around it's neck. After 20 mins or so they drifted out of sight with the tide.

Andrew Boyd

Well done Andy on your first mullet of the season. Over 4lb's as well I beleive must be the biggest so far! Was that on the float or dangle down method?

I blanked again yesterday put was fascinated by all the thins feeding like carp on the surface scum. All you could see was these little black heads out of the water for as far as you could see! A bit preoccupied to get any decent takes although I did miss a couple of chances. :)

:clap2:

With the weather now forecasted for warmer weather and spring here in the South, it shouldn't be too long until the grey ghosts are back.

Has anyone else started preparing for their 2006 season?

Tight Lines & best wishes for a productive and great 06' season.

Matt

:clap2: a tip for catching mullet.... :clap2:

if you know where mullet are, thats good, if not, find out.

for about 3 days you need to go to that spot (at the same time each day) and put a couple of handfuls of crumbled digestive biscuits into the swim... on the 4th day go down to that same spot and put some more crumbled digestives in, then put a bit of it of your hook and shove it in... well, the fish have been feeding on it for a couple of days so they just hit the hook and you're on within 5 minutes!!! it works, i've done it!!! :clap2::clap:

Adam Broadley!

Me

Whitby Sea Anglers

Fished Sun Pier yesterday PM ( Sunday ).

It was a bit wet and breezy ( understatement ) in the company of three friends, two being from the NMC. Result . .

Olly caught two Bass one 3/4 the other 1/3lb.

I caught one Bass aprox 3lb.

All on bread, my 3lb'er went like stink, no advance warning, the rod tip went from 0 to 90 degrees in an instant ( 1lb test / 6 lb line ).

All returned, though one angler was heard to mutter that I was mad to return the larger fish.

No sign of any Mullet, but given the conditions in retrospect I guess it wss not surprising.

Roll on next Sunday. . .

Andrew Boyd