Boilies and bolt rigs for big chub

Anderoo

Those things are massive Bob, and as much as I love catching, and watching chub, the appearance of them does nothing for me. As you say, they remind me of carp, the gut bucket kind at that.

I've never had anything approaching the size of them, but for looks I'll stick with my sleek 4 and 5 lbers. :D

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

John,

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you have to see these chub in real life to get a true picture of how big they are, the photo's do not do them justice, as they are well proportioned.

I have caught thousands of 3/4/5lb Chub, I caught 100x6lb chub in one season, a total of 10x7lb chub, 1x8lb chub and a 9lb chub.

The Big Chub were certainly not Gut Buckets, they had none of the blown out of proportion type features, they were just the biggest of the species and they were river fish, which I hope will take the record back from a still water chub.

Bob

John,

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you have to see these chub in real life to get a true picture of how big they are, the photo's do not do them justice, as they are well proportioned.

I have caught thousands of 3/4/5lb Chub, I caught 100x6lb chub in one season, a total of 10x7lb chub, 1x8lb chub and a 9lb chub.

The Big Chub were certainly not Gut Buckets, they had none of the blown out of proportion type features, they were just the biggest of the species and they were river fish, which I hope will take the record back from a still water chub.

Bob

I'm not decrying them or they're capture Bob, and maybe it's the picture, but appearance wise, I just prefer the look of the sleeker fish. I'm the same with big Tench caught full of spawn, I'd rather catch them a couple of pound lighter, but fitter looking. As you can guess, I'm no specimen hunter, and the look of a fish means as much to me as the weight.

Maybe if I'd seen the fish in real life, or had a chub CV as impressive as yours I might get used to the sight of them, but as I've never seen a chub over 7lb in real life, I can't say.

John

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

John,

Here is a 7lb 9ozs Chub I caught in that winter campaign whilst fishing with Simon, it's still a big fish, but well proportioned as is the 9lb Chub from a different angle.

Living in the Lea Valley and at one time a records officer for the Osprey Group I have been fortunate enough to see 6 different 8lb + Chub, done of them were in the least way spawn bloated or spawn bound.

They were all just very big Chub, unlike the bloated Tench and Carp that you see in the papers.

The left hand Chub is 7lbs 4ozs, centre the 7lbs 9ozs chub and on the right is the 9lb Chub

Bob

post-1161-0-58903900-1410460346_thumb.jpg

post-1161-0-29516400-1410460507_thumb.jpg

post-1161-0-25949200-1410460531_thumb.jpg

Edited by BobH
  • Like 1

That chub does look better proportioned in the last photo Bob, as do all three of them. :thumbs:

​The biggest I've seen live was caught in a match on the Yorkshire Ouse many years ago. If I remember right it was 6lb 12 oz, not caught by me I hasten to add, I just had to weigh it.

John.

I must addmitt i'm impressed with those chub Bob....brilliant !

I once had an 8 lb'er but as far as I can remember it was longer and more streemlined than the fish in your pic's, maybe it's down to the type of river and what their feeding on that dictates their shape.

I must addmitt i'm impressed with those chub Bob....brilliant !

I once had an 8 lb'er but as far as I can remember it was longer and more streemlined than the fish in your pic's, maybe it's down to the type of river and what their feeding on that dictates their shape.

Tigger

That is always a possibility, as I mentioned before the main diet of these fish I believe are the Crayfish that live in the Lea system, anglers baits I believe only account for a fraction of the overall weight of these fish.

And these are river fish swimming against a current for most of the time and it's possible that one of the 8s was from an area rarely, if ever fished by anglers.

Bob