Older Generation 4x4's

Elton

I'm thinking of ditching the van and getting an older generation 4x4. By that, I don't mean ancient, but something in the 90's, maybe.

It'll need to pull a boat and maybe the odd caravan out of muddy fields (they get stuck next to where I work), but that's about it. Needs to be fairly large, as when I go carp fishing, I tend to take a lot of gear. This is made worse when a friend comes along with his gear, too :)

Parked in my close is a very tidy Hilux Surf, but it's not for sale. However, it does look the business. Anyone owned one?

I'm not that concerned about mpg, as I don't do many miles and would rather enjoy the ones I do than be stuck in a motor that I hate.

tia,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking of ditching the van and getting an older generation 4x4. By that, I don't mean ancient, but something in the 90's, maybe.

It'll need to pull a boat and maybe the odd caravan out of muddy fields (they get stuck next to where I work), but that's about it. Needs to be fairly large, as when I go carp fishing, I tend to take a lot of gear. This is made worse when a friend comes along with his gear, too :)

Parked in my close is a very tidy Hilux Surf, but it's not for sale. However, it does look the business. Anyone owned one?

I'm not that concerned about mpg, as I don't do many miles and would rather enjoy the ones I do than be stuck in a motor that I hate.

tia,

Elton

No dealings with the Surf, but so far I cant fault the Mitsubishi Challenger, towed a boat from Ratcliff to Glasgow on Sunday and been pulling Norries Seahog Trooper about no probs. They are good in the snow too.. even got to tow a Disco that was stuck :)

Space wise, we had 4 anglers and a weeks worth of gear in mine last year when we went to Weymouth (OK we had a roof box also) so should be able to cope with a couple of carpies gear :)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

tia,

Elton

Go for an older Landrover prior to 1972, You can still get them for a good price and they will out last/ out pull anything post the Japs have come up with.

If you were going to miles and miles then I would go for the Jap ones.

Buying prior to 1972 means NO Excise Duty and you get classic Landrover Insurance for about 75 quid a year fully comp.

get a 3/4 (longwheel base) and you will have room for all your gear and somewhere to sleep to boot.

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

keep well away from landies ,the gears are crap (your always hovering between two) no guts (especially the LWB) and the gearbox falls apart due to crap synchromesh springs ,noisy ,slow ,bad lights no brakes if they go near water and you have to insert a plug if you go deeper than 6"and about 17 to the gallon and the frames if near seawater rust in seconds ,go jap

even the v6 conversions are a joke and the v8 conversion is big bucks as you need to replace the rear axel as well ,i saw one explode in my mates one after he stuck in an international v8 :o

i kinder hankered for the first landcruiser except for the rust ,they were bigger than the following ones

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

tia,

Elton

My Mate loves his But being an import some of the parts are a bit of a Sod as the hilux bits don't allways fit He had to wait three weeks for a windscreen replacement from japan as the hilux one availerble in the uk came up a millimeter over size to meet Eu regulations that the surf import being made for a forien market didnt have to meet. Gets us the dogs and the guns around no problem.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

keep well away from landies ,the gears are crap (your always hovering between two) no guts (especially the LWB) and the gearbox falls apart due to crap synchromesh springs ,noisy ,slow ,bad lights no brakes if they go near water and you have to insert a plug if you go deeper than 6"and about 17 to the gallon and the frames if near seawater rust in seconds ,go jap

No way.............

Drove them for miles and miles (The Queen owned them)

Had A Shogun and a Range Rover and a CRV and a Jeep and a Suzuki..........

3/4FFR anyday of the week..........

(put a new gearbox in though)

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

had two the short wheelbase (actually functions in winter) too small though for the kids and it dripped more oil than used fuel ,went on to a full safari 109 series 3 which towed a 20ft boat badly and rotted away ,the capstan couldnt be used by one person as a vehicle only good for towing trailers of dung down the field.

had the works freespool hubs (had to get out to engage them) overdrive etc only made it heavier for the puny 2.4 engine to pull :rolleyes:

my mates old jap thing could engage a diff lock ,lock its hubs and ride height from the cab and it was comfortable ,and towed the same boat with ease and far fewer gear changes,the only difference was his spare was on the back not on the bonnet where it should be :D

the queen was given them and lorry loads of hayter lawnmowers and just about everything else for a bit of prestige but it doesent make them any good :P

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I have an L200 Warrior and can't fault it for driving and comfort, like all pickups it is light at the back end for towing. Once it stops spinning the rear wheels it will pull anything, my boat/trailer weigh in a 2 tonnes, no problem except for setting off on the beach, has to be in 4wd or the rear wheels spin.

Another good one in my mind is a Diahatsu Fourtrack, nothing to look at but comfortable, drive well and will pull anything. Look out for rust/damage as body panels are a fortune.

Me and Chesters agree on Landrovers, there are some good ones, those that have had an engine transplant (isuzu) Apart from the reliability they are horrible to drive, noisy, draughty, and the seating position is way too close to the door for any sort of comfort.

I have an L200 Warrior

Just gone off you!

Gaffer also has one of those and likes to remind me at every opportunity, knowing full well that I like them.

It even got to the stage where he would call me, from his truck, and play 'The Fall Guy' theme tune down the phone at me :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I have an L200 Warrior and can't fault it for driving and comfort, like all pickups it is light at the back end for towing. Once it stops spinning the rear wheels it will pull anything, my boat/trailer weigh in a 2 tonnes, no problem except for setting off on the beach, has to be in 4wd or the rear wheels spin.

Another good one in my mind is a Diahatsu Fourtrack, nothing to look at but comfortable, drive well and will pull anything. Look out for rust/damage as body panels are a fortune.

Me and Chesters agree on Landrovers, there are some good ones, those that have had an engine transplant (isuzu) Apart from the reliability they are horrible to drive, noisy, draughty, and the seating position is way too close to the door for any sort of comfort.

Chris when youve got an ar5e the size of mine the seats on a kenworth Are too near the doors for any sort of comfort :blink:

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!