Simple Rigs

Elton

Sorting out my tackle today and looking through the various shop bought rigs in my tacklebox (I'm a lazy sod).

When we used to fish years back on the Essex coast, the people I fished with just used to use a lead sliding on a swivel on the main line. The main line was attached to a simple swivel and then a few foot of trace and a size 3/O Aberdeen.

Is this kind of 'rig' still used, or is it essential to half half the contents of a haberdashery shop attached to your line to catch fish these days?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's basically what I use when Uptiding, except I use an american snap as my boom not a plain swivel.

That it, boat casting, I use a Zip slidder type boom, but eccentialy 'single sliding trace' have recently used pully rigs with single trace/hook, gon back to the single sliding trace, keep it simple :)

CJS2

Hello Elton

When we used to fish years back on the Essex coast, the people I fished with just used to use a lead sliding on a swivel on the main line. The main line was attached to a simple swivel and then a few foot of trace and a size 3/O Aberdeen.

Simple is best, rarely use any other rig. although I hardly ever use a hook smaller than 5 or 6/o.

I fish to live and live to fish.

It's the same thing that's happened in coarse fishing. It sells magazines and tackle, but I'm not convinced that it catches any more fish. What used to be called a paternoster rig is now a "flapper". It used to be tied with two or three blood loops carrying droppers and a split link at each end. It now requires an extra three swivels, six beads and six crimps. I'm currently trying out rigging them the modern way, but I remain to be convinced that it works any better than the old way.

The only rig in common use that doesn't appear in some simplified form in my old fishing books is the pulley rig. That seems to be a genuine innovation which serves some purpose. Mind you, the version of it that I use has considerably fewer bits than some versions I've seen in magazines.

I used to make rigs with multiple hooks (Not that I often caught two fish at a time from the shore) and I always used multiple hooks for boat fishing and then I thought "Hang on" what am I actually doing here.

I actually enjoy the fun of hooking a fish and playing it.

So I geared down and upped hook size (Trying not to catch 2lb Coalfish) and I only ever use single hook rigs (Apart from pennels).

Now I have an excuse to only catch one fish at a time.

Bob

It's what I use for much of my shore fishing - for bass and flatfish etc.

If casting longer range I will experiment with paternosters, wishbones etc., some clipped down. but kept as streamlined and simple as possible. I make my own - which I enjoy.

DON'T PANIC

you cant beat the blood loop trace with a loop at either end for rough ground cod fishing,i hate making rigs and these are easy to make and fish as well and often better than a pulley rig which as a trace i dont like although they are extremely popular.you can put a clip on for a bit more distance and even if you lose twenty youve just lost line,weights and hooks.