second hand air rifle needed

jeepster

Sound advice from the above Jeeps!! And another bit of advice?? Fit an oxspring in the GAMP by all means if you value it as ZERO!!It will do more harm than good mark my words!! Ask on the bbs if you don't believe me!! I would quite honestly bide my time and get myself something worth owning!! Nice weapons on the BBS which are well worth waiting for!! Bide your time my friend!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 ft lbs - how would that roughly translate into muzzle velocity for a .177 pellet?

The 1000 fps versions look like they should do nicely for small game.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

12 ft lbs - how would that roughly translate into muzzle velocity for a .177 pellet?

Depends on pellet weight, Newtster. With a lightweight pellet, Such as the US made Crosman Premier, it works out at over 800 f.p.s.

The f.p.s. into foot-pounds formula is easy to work out, actually. It's velocity in f.p.s. squared, multiplied by the pellet's weight in grains, divided by 450240 to give the ft.lbs. figure. See? No cheating with one of them-thar calkee-lator dealies though. :blink:

And a word to that rebel, Poledark, while I'm here; look here young man, tap the valve at the rear of your rifle's action and release some of its static pressure. Running your gun at 11.8 is too close to illegal, especially for a tearaway like you, with your Trev'd-up Vauxhall Nova, hoody and all that hanging around with your posse of Saga louts outside the post office on pensions day! :rolleyes:

Remember, the police will test your rifle with light, medium and heavyweight pellets, and each produces differing power levels according to the type of air rifle that fires them. Pre-charged rifles produce higher power with heavy pellets, while piston-powered rifles like the HW90 produce more power with light pellets. Set your '90 at 11.5 MAX, and I assure you there will be no loss in practical performance. Did I ever tell you that I won the European Field Target Championship with a rifle that was doing just 10.5 ft.lbs.? No? Well settle back for four hours and I'll begin..... :headhurt:

:P

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Good grief Terry - way to complicated for an old country boy like me.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Good grief Terry - way to complicated for an old country boy like me.

Weeeeell, ah gayuss y'all'll jess have tu keep shootin' et 'turnips and sich, an' seein' how fur them slugs goes in. :P

(Erm...how many accents did I just defile there, Newt?) :rolleyes:

Terry - if you said that exact thing around here, no one would ever guess you weren't a local.

Terry - if you said that exact thing around here, no one would ever guess you weren't a local.

I likes my diggety hot* and my necks red! Sounds like my kinda neighbourhood. :yeah:

* Not a bleddy clue what I'm going on about, here. :(

Terry - in truth, I think you would enjoy living over here and would fare quite well.

unless you hillbillies have anything to offer in my search for the air rifle bargain of the century, keep your redneck chat to yourselves :P