Eating Perch...or any other prized species.

Andy Macfarlane

Steve, why do you find it so hard to accept that those are my views and nothing you've said has made me think any different? I've given you the logic behind my thinking, but you have just ignored it. I'm not asking you to agree with me, I'm explaining why I think the way I do, just like you asked. You're asking me to go over things I've already said more than once. What's the point in going round in circles? If you look at my posts and read them properly instead of cherry picking bits out of them, you'll find all the information you want with regard to my logic.

Glenn, again I'm going over old ground. I've already said that I don't believe what happened in this country years ago, or what is happeneing in other countries now is relevant to this argument, which is about course fishing in Britain in 2006. Why can't people read the posts properly before trying to rip them apart?

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NickInTheNorth

why is it that some people find it impossible to agree to differ. No one is suggesting that ALL coarse anglers should kill the fish they catch. No one is saying that live baiting or match fishing should be banned.

Why therefore do those who choose to livebait, or defend that right, or match fish, or defend that right, not extend the same courtesy to those who choose to do what has been perfectly acceptable for ever to many anglers, and that is to take an occassional fish for the table.

Why is it that time after time on here there is a small minority that constantly want to force people into doing things their way?

Why can they not accept that there is room for altrnative practices and approaches, and that just because it does not fit exactly within their own very narrow definition of acceptable it does not follow that it is wrong?

Yet another example of the totalitarian approach that is sweeping the country is so many regards.

Steve, why do you find it so hard to accept that those are my views and nothing you've said has made me think any different? I've given you the logic behind my thinking, but you have just ignored it. I'm not asking you to agree with me, I'm explaining why I think the way I do, just like you asked. You're asking me to go over things I've already said more than once.

I've no problem accepting that those are your views and that you are entitled to your opinion. I haven't ignored your logic because I can't see that you are using any. As far as I can see you could have said "eating coarse fish is wrong because it just is" and "using coarse fish for bait is OK because it just is" and left it at that because none of the reasons you have given go any deeper than that.

I think I'm happy that I understand your position, and that you have explained it as best you can, so I'll stop asking now.

Yet another example of the totalitarian approach that is sweeping the country is so many regards.

Bang on Nick.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Don't German angling laws *require* all fish over a certain size to be killed?

It seems to me this must represent a far far higher mortality rate than merely taking the odd fish for the pot, so how are German fisheries doing? Judging by some opinions expressed here, they must be virtually empty (or are those German anglers sneakily returning the fish when nobody's looking? ;) )

German freshwater fisheries are probably the healthiest in Europe. Take a look over the bridge parapet of almost any city in southern Germany on a nice summers day.

Where have most authenticated 50lb pike come from?

Interesting analysis of the German situation here:

http://www.anglerverband.com/DAV/de/naturs...973d10a6e02.php

They don't allow "Angling with life baitfish, keeping of life fish in keepnets, angling for fun without use of the fish as foodstuff (catch and release only) and competitive fishing in all variations"

So no catch-and-release matchfishing and no livebaiting...

There is a workaround being used for matchfishing, which is that many waters have an excess of small fish, and so the primary reason for fishing is to remove and kill the small fish for management purposes.

I think I am correct in stating the European country's that eat a lot of coarse fish do so because they are farmed for the table, I think it is an untruth to assume they are harvested from natural venues on a large scale, this is similar to trout fishing in Britain, sure there are natural trout to be caught and killed ,but the vast majority that are knocked on the head are from artificial commercial venues, designed and stocked specifically for catch and kill.... and there is the difference for me, I make no political, moral or any other kind of judgment on those anglers that do practice catch and occasionally kill their quarry...I am against catch and kill on natural venues purely on logic, and my logic tells me , for anglers to plunder natural fish resources is folly and will have a very negative effect on future stocks... stocks that are already under enormous pressure from other issues, I have already stated elsewhere my views are selfish, but they are the views of an angler that wishes to go to a natural venue and bag up! :fishing:

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

I think I am correct in stating the European country's that eat a lot of coarse fish do so because they are farmed for the table, I think it is an untruth to assume they are harvested from natural venues on a large scale, this is similar to trout fishing in Britain, sure there are natural trout to be caught and killed ,but the vast majority that are knocked on the head are from artificial commercial venues, designed and stocked specifically for catch and kill.... and there is the difference for me, I make no political, moral or any other kind of judgment on those anglers that do practice catch and occasionally kill their quarry...I am against catch and kill on natural venues purely on logic, and my logic tells me , for anglers to plunder natural fish resources is folly and will have a very negative effect on future stocks... stocks that are already under enormous pressure from other issues, I have already stated elsewhere my views are selfish, but they are the views of an angler that wishes to go to a natural venue and bag up! :fishing:

So would it be alright to kill Carp from Commercial Carp fisheries as these are stocked at unnaturally high levels?

They are not natural resources...indeed they are an alien fish in the UK.

In fact, on many commercial venues, they are 'farmed' in that when they get too big for Pole anglers they are netted and sold on

There are far too many inconsistencies in a lot of these arguments

In reply to an earlier post...I remember fist seeing Coarse fish (including bream and Roach) for sale on Nottingham fish market over 30 years ago.

They probably still are

Guest NickInTheNorth

I suspect Bob that the chances of ever going to a natural water and "bagging up" are very slim Natural waters no not have the sort of stocking densities that allow for bagging up in the modern match fishing sense. That is why the bagging up venues are all artificially stocked and often man made.

There can be viable sustainable populations which are far far below that needed to make a "bagging up" water. And ven from those as long as the taking is done sensibly there is no long term harm done to fish stocks.

So would it be alright to kill Carp from Commercial Carp fisheries as these are stocked at unnaturally high levels?

They are not natural resources...indeed they are an alien fish in the UK.

In fact, on many commercial venues, they are 'farmed' in that when they get too big for Pole anglers they are netted and sold on

There are far too many inconsistencies in a lot of these arguments

Well actually it would be OK in my eyes ...provided the owners of these commercial carp venues replaced the ones taken, I would pay good money to see anyone try it though!!! Alan Thompson ( the owner of my local commercial would be using a shotgun to make his point!!

But this is the crux of it really isn't it? take by all means, but who or what is replacing the missing fish?

This is what I mean by "acts of vandalism by fellow anglers" food for thought?

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]