Stronsay trip July 2006

Guest NickInTheNorth

No one pays any attention to Bank holidays (New Year excepted) up here as we only have a bank on a Thursday.

I don't know of any Bank holidays in July and I would imagine they would make travelling harder.

I am flexible but be aware of the weather and daylight so very late June or July (If you want to try midnight fishing) or at the very latest early August would be best.

Bob

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather avoid the first two weeks of July as that is when we have our family hols (scottish schools finish two weeks before the english so its cheaper!)

I tried floating the idea of taking the family holiday in Orkney/Stronsay and it was going fine untill I mentioned fishing ..... :)

Late June would be best for me.....and what better way to spend midsummers night than a night session off Stronsay.

Given the travelling time I'd prefer to make it a week rather than just a long weekend, and anywya the 21st is a Wednesday. That way we can really get some angling man-hours in and hopefully make a worthwhile contribution to our hosts knowledge/experience of their waters.

Depending on which car I take (I need the big car for the kayak) I'd be able to give some folks a lift from Inverness as I pass the airport on route.

Bob,

Am I right in thinking the ferry is a car ferry? I am guessing you haven't suggested bringing our cars across as its expensive? Its just getting the kayak on the bus might be awkward :)

Suits me. It would make a change to the old saying "It's light enough at midnight to play a round of golf". We could be out fishing and see the dawn and still be back in bed before the late night film finishes.

It would mean some would have problems with a "Long weekend".

Let me know what you decide.

Bob

SandTiger:

Don't forget flights into Kirkwall is also an option esp. if booking in advance.

:cool: I'm pretty flexible at that time of the year, although the end of the month is dificult because of printing, so early to middle of the month's best for me. I could go this year if it fits in with anyone else's plans but it's probably too late to organise now. :D