Moving A Boat From Trailer To Trailer

Elton

NO, NO, Nooooo, the best way by far is to invite twenty FIT guys around for a drink, line ten beers up on each side of the boat, once they have taken up there alotted locations according to height and had there first swig just challenge them to see if they can lift the boat. Once in the air quickly roll out old trailer and slide in new one. :D:D:whistling::drunk::bigemo_harabe_net-163:

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Elton just collected his trailer and set off on the long journey home...all lights working and even a number plate that matches his van! Very nervous I might add. Watch for traffic reports anywhere on the A1 of someone removing bollards and wiping out cyclists :headhurt:

We have discussed the transfer and rekon he can drop the old boat onto some bales he has and then winch it back onto the new trailer providing he leaves the handbrake off the trailer should slide under with no bother as it has a swinging rear roller axle. Good luck :P

Elton, dont forget you need to adjust the rollers so they provide proper support for the boat. I can see you needing a fair bit of wd40 as they have been in one place for a while. Also ideally you should have a hitch weight of between 50 and 75 kg when the boat is loaded. You wont be able to work that out untill you have the engine on the boat so for now just get it on the rollers and when the engine is fitted put a bathroom scale under the wheel and adjust the winch post forward or backward to give a reading on the scale of 50 kg. The winch post cant move forward from where it is so if you cant get the weight right you will need to move the axle, which is not as hard as it sounds apart from the fact all the bolts will be rusty. I should be down your way over the next month or so if you are struggling.

Dave

Edited by Fastd

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

Get some old tyres and lay them down where the boat will go and let the boat down onto them.(6 seems a nice qty)

Winch boat back onto new trailer.

A bottle of washing up liquid will smooth this operation out no end.

• 3 weeks later...

It appears that getting it off the old trailer is going to be the hard bit. It doesn't seem to want to budge today, so I need to find a way of jacking it :(

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Just turn the old trailer upside down and the boat should come right off.

On a slightly more serious note, can you tell exactly where it is binding or is it just stuck to the old trailer every place the hull contacts the trailer?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Just turn the old trailer upside down and the boat should come right off.

On a slightly more serious note, can you tell exactly where it is binding or is it just stuck to the old trailer every place the hull contacts the trailer?

The old trailer has a combination of rollers and runners and I think it's sitting quite heavy on the runners, thus creating grip.

I'll have another try when I can get a mate up there - the lazy so-and-so's are always at work when I need them :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Unwind the winch webbing on the old trailer and attatch a length of rope to it. Take the rope around something solid at the rear of the trailer and bring it back to the winching eye on the front of the boat. Tie it off tight. Start winching, instead of pulling the boat on it will have the reverse effect and pull it off. You may have to unwind the winch a couple of times and resecure the rope, depends on how far back on the trailer you can take the rope.

Hope this makes sense and the winch is working on the old trailer.

I had this problem Elton and what I did was to lay some old tyres to support the boat IF it fell over (It didn't!) And attatched a RATCHET strap to back of boat and a convenient telegraph pole. Could use a decent car?? And just pull the boat OF the trailer. Have someone to steady the boat and move the tyres. The tyres will come VERY cheap!! In fact the hard bit is getting rid again best way is down the A1 are LOTS of speed cameras...... But don' :yeah: t tell them I said so!!

And THEN I read Chris's post!!! I think it was him who made the suggestion. Just made it up as we went along!

Edited by Chris Goddard

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))