Her we go . . . !

Guest Silver Back

Apparently the cod moved off North 80 years ago, they came back when the sea had a rest during the war period 39-45. Final pitch was that successive governments have given our fishing away?

They did not realy come back untill the 60's when the north sea cooled down a bit.

They are right about the governments, they are still doing it.

Sorry I just had to stick me oar in.

As for fast or slow boats,whats the difference in a 10 mile jurney, a fast boat that uses 1 gallon a per mile to a heavy old plodder that uses 2 gallons per hour at 5 knots.

I also think globle warming and imissions is a bit like over fishing, a myth.

Hey Wurzel, evening mate, you have probably read that I finished with egg on the face with those 'skinning pliers' :lol: OK, you told me so, but your demo stood me in good stead.

Errr, 1gal per mile, 9 miles = 9 gals (41.40 lits) @ 60p per lit = £24.84, (at 2 mile per gal., pm thats still a lot).

Plodder like KT, 9 miles to the Towers, took us 1h 15min = 7.5 lits (round up to 8 lits) = £4.80. Worked on Diesel in the Marina will soon be 60p per lit! Time and distance from lock.

The statement on the Lowestoft thing, not me mate, thats what was broadcast by the fisherman that was interviewed.

Got any thoughts on the Herring/Tuna idea Wurzel?

Cliff

Edited by CJS2

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like theres enough HOT AIR coming from this thread to excelerate global warming out of control!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Not all fast boats are inefficient...my Explorer will do about 50-60miles on a single tank(well my 60 hp merc 4-stroke will)

Muttley,

Those are great figures, how do they pan out?

Tank size?

Average crusing speed?

Compared to a local Orkney, powerd by a 4st Yamaha 80hp. Recently did a 100 mile round trip for £75 worth of petrol. OK slightly bigger engine, but are we taking hull design as a majour factor?

I know in the world of 10m semi displacement craft, this is a majour factor.

Cliff

Fast small fishing boats using four stroked and new gen two strokes are enjoying very much improved econermy.

The fast boat will get to the fishing mark quickly so its engin will only be running for a short time.

The larger displacment boats using diesel engines will be runing their engines longer to get to the same fishing mark there for puting out more pollution. Well thats my thery.

Our old HandyBilly had a tank the size of a seagull 40 and we could leave Holes Bay chug out into Bournemouth Bay troll around all day and return to the moorings on a tank and a half which at a guess was less than two gallons ;):D:D

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

After seeing the figures others have supplied I'm beginning to think my 2 stroke isn't that inefficient after all.

Wilson 17ft and 70hp Yamaha 2 stroke oil injection.

Averaged out we return around 1 mile for every litre used.

The Warrior 165 with a 75 Etec gets about 1.25 miles / litre

AlderneyBassMans smart Orkney / Etec (90hp if memory serves me correctly) combo 1 mile/ litre

Orkney / Yamaha 80hp 4 stroke gives 1.25 miles / litre

But way out ahead it's Matts Explorer / 60hp Merc giving 5.6 miles / litre that wins the day.

Can't compete with the fuel economy I'm afraid but my £15 a year servicing expenditure makes up a bit. ;)

5.6 miles per litre is remarkable <_<

That would get me to Cherbourg and back on my all too frequent shopping (booze) trips for 10 litres :blink:

Maybe i'm caning mine a bit hard, but as for servicing Sharkbyte................it's an Etec so I'm OK for another 2+ years :lol:

After seeing the figures others have supplied I'm beginning to think my 2 stroke isn't that inefficient after all.

Wilson 17ft and 70hp Yamaha 2 stroke oil injection.

Averaged out we return around 1 mile for every litre used.

The Warrior 165 with a 75 Etec gets about 1.25 miles / litre

AlderneyBassMans smart Orkney / Etec (90hp if memory serves me correctly) combo 1 mile/ litre

Orkney / Yamaha 80hp 4 stroke gives 1.25 miles / litre

But way out ahead it's Matts Explorer / 60hp Merc giving 5.6 miles / litre that wins the day.

Can't compete with the fuel economy I'm afraid but my £15 a year servicing expenditure makes up a bit. ;)

The Merc 60/Explorer would be worth homeing in on. Is it the engine or engine/hull combination, do we know anyone else who has the same engine on a different hull. I'm presuming its a 4st Merc? What are the manufacturers claims on fuel consumption? Howmuch does it cost :( ?

Cliff