Salmon on River Usk

CYNSWIM

This evening after my haircut, I thought I'd give spinning for Salmon a go again but in a different stretch of water today, 3 mins from my house, the river Usk. I walked there with my tackle (1 rod, reel, 10lb line and 2 mepps) and found a spot where I saw many rising fish. I set my rod up and cast out to the middle of the river about 30 yards from where I was standing. I began to reel in accross the river and within seconds a fish had taken the lure! I couldn't be too slow reeling in my fish because the river was making the weight of the fish multiply!

It was my first ever game fish ! And even better the river was soclose to my house B)

When I landed the fish I couldn't tell if it was a Salmon or a Brown Trout.

I think it is a Salmon but could it be verified?

Here are some pics :rolleyes:

Thanks,

post-15017-1220130166_thumb.jpg

post-15017-1220130176_thumb.jpg

Cyn

I don't have a clue but well done on your first lure caught game fish and whatever the species, it is a pretty little devil.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Someone said it was a brook trout.#?

Thanks .

The Brook Trout is a species of Char, you caught an immature Brownie, so be careful about what 'someone' tells you . Have a look here to find how to tell a Salmon from a Trout. There should be no doubt between a Brown trout and a Salmon, however a good Sea Trout is sometimes less easy to distinguish from 'Salar'

Salmon General appearance Slender and streamlined More round and thickset

Head Pointed More round

Position of Eye Maxilla (bony plate usually alongside mouth) does not extend beyond rear rear of eye Maxilla extends beyond eye

Colour Relatively few spots Often heavily spotted

Scale count

(number from adipose fin to lateral line) 10-13 13-16

Fork of tail Usually forked Usually square or convex

Wrist of tail Slender Broader

Handling Easy to pick up by Tail Tail slips through hand

TAIL FIN - When extended salmon have a concave tail. The sea trout's tail is convex or straight edged (when extended).

WRIST OF TAIL - Salmon have a narrow wrist with distinct broadening on the tail side of the wrist. Sea trout have a relatively broad tail. This is particularly prominent in multi-sea winter salmon.

MARKINGS - Salmon have relitively few dark spots below the lateral line. Sea trout have numerous dark spots.

MOUTH - The jaw of a salmon extends no further than the rear edge of the eye. The upper jaw of a sea trout extends beyond the rear edge of the eye.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

The Brook Trout is a species of Char, you caught an immature Brownie, so be careful about what 'someone' tells you . Have a look here to find how to tell a Salmon from a Trout. There should be no doubt between a Brown trout and a Salmon, however a good Sea Trout is sometimes less easy to distinguish from 'Salar'

Salmon General appearance Slender and streamlined More round and thickset

Head Pointed More round

Position of Eye Maxilla (bony plate usually alongside mouth) does not extend beyond rear rear of eye Maxilla extends beyond eye

Colour Relatively few spots Often heavily spotted

Scale count

(number from adipose fin to lateral line) 10-13 13-16

Fork of tail Usually forked Usually square or convex

Wrist of tail Slender Broader

Handling Easy to pick up by Tail Tail slips through hand

TAIL FIN - When extended salmon have a concave tail. The sea trout's tail is convex or straight edged (when extended).

WRIST OF TAIL - Salmon have a narrow wrist with distinct broadening on the tail side of the wrist. Sea trout have a relatively broad tail. This is particularly prominent in multi-sea winter salmon.

MARKINGS - Salmon have relitively few dark spots below the lateral line. Sea trout have numerous dark spots.

MOUTH - The jaw of a salmon extends no further than the rear edge of the eye. The upper jaw of a sea trout extends beyond the rear edge of the eye.

Thanks very much !

Cyn

Cyn that wasnt a blue plastic stripey body bag in the background of that picture was it?

Make sure you have the correct licence if you are likely to come into contact with Sea trout or Salmon.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!