Is it the end for charter skippers and fishing clubs? No time to bury your heads

glennk

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bonatone I have been a member of Greenpeace for as long as I care to mention. The Licence and bag limit debate has **** all to do with them.

They don't help though, their constant spiel of how the north sea is a over fished desert, cod are in danger of becoming extinct and all stocks are seriously over fished, this false hyped up rubbish that they feed the public all the time is what the politicians pamper to and hence DEFRA have to play the same tune, so in the end it has a lot to do with Green peace and all the other environmental state of fear brigade

I fish to live and live to fish.

hehe - Sea Angling's own answer to the bogeyman ;)

I think that is very much the crux of the matter - sustainable fisheries must be applicable to the given area and target species. To simply impose nationwide blanket bag limits without considering the individual areas stocks would be meaningless and empty political gesture.

Not sure about the bogeyman reference. I have never been used to terrorise kids yet :lol::lol:

Your paragraph on sustainable fisheries is spot on and you will have trouble finding anyone who will disagree with you

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Not sure about the bogeyman reference. I have never been used to terrorise kids yet :lol::lol:

Your paragraph on sustainable fisheries is spot on and you will have trouble finding anyone who will disagree with you

Ahhhh... the bogeymen reference was in relation to those marauding cod anglers intent on filling their freezers and baths to the brim with prime cod fillets, not your good self ;)

I think I know the answer to the next question I'm about to ask you given that you target a select clientele whom are probably willing and able to lay out more money for the specific type of angling that you conduct, but here goes...

Do you at least accept the fears that that some charters (and tackle shop owners for that matter) in coastal areas may have about the introduction of a rod licence having a negative impact in an area of the business that is heavily reliant on providing a service for the occasional angler?

Anticipating tacit agreement in favour of a licence, I've been mulling a few things over;

Should charters be subjected to a blanket levy?

Should skippers be required to check all licences – thus effectively policing the situation on behalf of the issuing body?

Should anglers on a charter boats be exempt?

Should the licence only apply to shore anglers?

If applied to boat anglers then to what range should the licence cover?

Should a skipper carrying unlicensed anglers be liable for prosecution?

Edited by SandTiger

hi everybody, i dont feel that i have too much right to get involved with the politics of uk sea angling.but its sometimes an eye opener to see what happens elsewhere.

here in spain, all the different regions(call them counties) have their own licences. they also have there own size limits, and in some areas bag limits.

in many areas(mine included)we have a seperate licence for boat angling than for coarse and shore.

in some areas they are now changing this to licence the boat rather than the individual angler,im not sure if this is to make enforcement easier, it wouldnt suprise me, but i read in the friday paper 2 weeks ago, that 14 thousand people in our "county"and the one below(murcia) were reported for fishing without a licence, in the calender year ending dec 31st 2005.(the normal fine is about 200 quid)

we have to have different size limits/rules etc as how can you compare fish types and sizes in the bay of biscay to those of the delta del ebro for example.

this seems to me to be similar to the situation you have with the north and the south in the u.k.

ill get me coat........ :lol: dave.

Edited by captain cojones

...but i read in the friday paper 2 weeks ago, that 14 thousand people in our "county"and the one below(murcia) were reported for fishing without a licence, in the calender year ending dec 31st 2005.(the normal fine is about 200 quid)

Which works out at £28,0000 if collected, that should help the public purse ;)

Interesting post Dave, thanks.

I think I know the answer to the next question I'm about to ask you given that you target a select clientele whom are probably willing and able to lay out more money for the specific type of angling that you conduct, but here goes...

I don't target a certain clientelle and most anglers when they started fishing with us were used to taking home fish. It takes 2 or 3 trips to make them see the benefit, and 5 trips to turn them into tope anglers. Once bitten forever smitten with the tope.

Do you at least accept the fears that that some charters (and tackle shop owners for that matter) in coastal areas may have about the introduction of a rod licence having a negative impact in an area of the business that is heavily reliant on providing a service for the occasional angler?

I honestly believe the license will only be issued if the government are sure they will get the backing of RSA. This can only happen when the government makes certain promises to develop RSA. If Joe Bloggs suddenly finds his fishing is improving then i hope he will be happy to pay the license. The license will be in the region of £20 which is probably about 1 per cent of the average anglers spending. I spent more on bait last week.

Should charters be subjected to a blanket levy?

I suspect it will be up to individual anglers to get their own license

Should skippers be required to check all licences – thus effectively policing the situation on behalf of the issuing body How does it work in freshwater angling?, If someone buys a day ticket for a pond is his angling license checked.

Should anglers on a charter boats be exempt?

No

Should the licence only apply to shore anglers?

No

If applied to boat anglers then to what range should the licence cover?

I think just one sea fishing license will be applicable to all regardless of distance travelled and number of occassion.

Tiggs I have been against any controls of the sea but fear this may be the only way we can gain any leverage with the government. People pay their licenses in Florida because they know the money is being used to better the angling product. If the government issued a license without doing anything to improve our lot I simply wouldn't pay it. They couldn't take 2.2 million people to court.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Hi Glenn

I've not had any joy with the above website, since I found it a week or so back, beyond a few forums like Welcome, NESA & Emergencies, all of which hold old posts - Anyone else getting the same?