Is it the end for charter skippers and fishing clubs? No time to bury your heads

glennk

Hi Tiggs

I am not sure how it works in freshwater circles. Do they pay for an individual days fishing or weekly permits.

Eventually the Scottish exec will have a wake up call about RSA and will probably go the same route that the majority of countries have done round the world.

As far as I am aware it has never been talked about at Scottish exec. level because they don't even acknowledge we exist :(:(

Current EA freshwater rates in Englandshire are:

Category Non-Migratory Trout and Coarse/Salmon and Sea Trout

Full Season £24.00 /£65.00

Junior £5.00/ £32.50

8 Day £8.50 /£20.50

1 Day £3.25/ £6.75

Historicaly any introduction of rod licences has been resisted in Scotland and I fail to see why that will suddenly change. :D

Edited by SandTiger

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Binatone I think you will find that was me, and I confirm the statement that Greenpeace have no interest in RSA. I think you should be worried about Greenpeace as they and 42 other major conservation groups around the world are looking for a total ban on trawling

Thankyou Ian. :)

I remember exactly who it was and when.

Edited by glennk

Quote from binatone

Big Cod or your local friends who love to slag of an industry that has traditionally fished what you call your local grounds, for as long as records began.

I ask, have you ever been trawling? Have you ever been out fishing beyond 60 miles?

Have you ever sat with your bank manager and scratched your head worrying where the next codling is going to come from?

Haddocks like most fish have tails; the sea is so large that it covers two thirds of the earth’s surface. Fish come and go in cycles as surly you must know.

The few trawlers that have stuck it out against all the **** that has been thrown there way over the last few years are doing ok today. I say today because there is a bit of feed on the ground i.e. herrings and there spawn, as you recorded big cod some boats did have some big landings this week as they always do this time of year when there’s a bit of feed about to slow the fish down.

If you had ever been trawling then you would know that the only time that you catch any fish in a trawl in bulk is when it is ether full of feed or full of spawn it self.

If you want to ban fishing inside of ten miles then ok let’s do it. But that goes for all fishing.

Don’t start talking about black fish because you will open a nasty tin of worms for yourself.

Have fun fishing and I hope that you are very successful in your business, but don’t slag off an industry that you know nothing about.

The sea is big, there’s room for all.

Beware of green peace they will be coming for you next.

Reply from Ian

Hi Binatone

I have just spoken to the public relations officer for Greenpeace. She ensures me that Greenpeace and the SACN are after exactly the same thing; promotion of sustainable fishing.

Is your fishing sustainable?

Regards slagging off an Industry we know nothing about. We know there are less fish around every year and if something isn't done there will be nothing left.

Edited by glennk

Seems that bag limits are definitely on the cards for UK Angling Charter Boats that fish Guernsey.

See:

http://www.thisisguernsey.com/code/shownew...rticleID=000676

I think saying that it is "definitely on the cards" at this stage is a bit strong but it is a very interesting read as it seems that the regulations want to be brought in to curb some perceived notion that the charter boats fishing the area are indulging in black fish practices despite the lack of evidence in support of the allegation. Paul Whittall seems to make a good case against the proposals.

'Despite frequent searches of the vessels and appropriate follow up, Southern Sea Fisheries have told me that there is no evidence whatsoever that any selling of fish is talking place and that they have reported this back to Guernsey Sea Fisheries,' said Mr Whittall.

&

He brings 25 charter trips annually into Alderney – each one injects £3,000 into the island's economy, he said.

'This means my customers have injected well over £1m. into the economy during the 20 years I have been bringing anglers to the Channel Islands.

'Many recent studies have shown how much more a fish is worth to a local economy if caught by an angler, as opposed to it landing on the fish market.

Edited by SandTiger

Yep. We need to manage a response to this as some of the proposals are just not sensible.

if the stock is that badly damaged why should a restriction be placed on RSA's but the commercials be allowed to continue freely??? The value of RSA is proven in Guernsey/Alderney waters to be far greater than commercial exploits IMO.

Let us hope that the continual offers from RSA's to assist and work with the SFC's brings about recognition of RSA's role in fish conservation and management and lets the voice be heard and acted upon.

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society

I think saying that it is "definitely on the cards" at this stage is a bit strong but it is a very interesting read as it seems that the regulations want to be brought in to curb some perceived notion that the charter boats fishing the area are indulging in black fish practices despite the lack of evidence in support of the allegation. Paul Whittall seems to make a good case against the proposals.

'Despite frequent searches of the vessels and appropriate follow up, Southern Sea Fisheries have told me that there is no evidence whatsoever that any selling of fish is talking place and that they have reported this back to Guernsey Sea Fisheries,' said Mr Whittall.

&

He brings 25 charter trips annually into Alderney – each one injects £3,000 into the island's economy, he said.

'This means my customers have injected well over £1m. into the economy during the 20 years I have been bringing anglers to the Channel Islands.

'Many recent studies have shown how much more a fish is worth to a local economy if caught by an angler, as opposed to it landing on the fish market.

At the last count approx £5 MILLION POUNDS went into the local economy in whitby by anglers visiting whitby over the year, this survey was done a couple of years ago since then prices have rose considerably. When we meet our local MP tommorow these figures will be put to him to take back to whitehall we are only one of many places that could be affected by such things as licences and bag limits the local tackle shop owner was horrified at the thought of licences just how the hell will it affect kids on holiday who buy crab lines etc for a couple of pounds will they have to purchase a licence its totally ****s the backlash would emence like i said earlier in the thread the negative side far out weighs the pro side on this one it has not being thought out properly, financialy the goverment would be on a big loser on this one VAT etc will be a big loser and believe me they arent gonna like that.

Also we have expressed the people who are in favour of these proposuls are not representing the majority of anglers in this country.

NEXT THING YOU WILL NEED A LICENCE TO WALK DOWN THE STREET.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Have you had any more thoughts on where you go from here Paul?

My guess is your Mp will listen to you, enjoy the opportunity to get a dig in at the labour party but will tell you there is nothing much he can do at present as their are no concrete proposals on bag limts and a licence as the proposals are at the consultatiton stage (once past the consultation stage I bet you wont get much say in the damn thing anyways)

Will you form a pressure group and get prepared for when the day comes that defra turn around and say right coff up, plus you can only catch 2 fish a day per angler.

Will you ask defra for a copy of the marine bill and make your response as an association ?

Will you contact Defra and make it clear that no way do NFSA and their bass centred views represent you ?

What are your plans Paul ?

Remember what I said, Potentially you are a huge voice. You meet more anglers on a daily basis than most, and all of them respect you for what you know and do on the angling front, get them behind you and your rolling.

Will you contact Defra and make it clear that no way do NFSA and their bass centred views represent you ?

Glenn

What evidence do you have for that statement?

I can pretty much assure you that the NFSA is actively supporting the efforts of all anglers, whatever their discipline, preferred species, or area that they fish.

Yes, the NFSA have supported the efforts of the Bass Anglers Society, as you would expect them to.

But they are also supporting the initiatives of the National Mullet Club, and Save Our Sharks, plus getting involved in other areas such as Access rights in Blackpool and elsewhere, the developing situation in Guernsey etc.

It might be worth finding out something of the many issues that the NFSA is trying to deal with, rather than coming out with a statement like that, that people who have been working their ***** off for anglers in many areas that don't have anything to do with BASS will find hurtful to say the least.

Like it or not, the NFSA is the recognised governing body for angling, and at the end of the day, the government will listen to other groups, but when it comes to it, it's the NFSA that they will turn to.

If anyone has a problem with what the NFSA are doing or thinking (assuming that they actually know what they are doing and thinking, rather than wildly guessing) then the way to change that is to become a part of it, and convince the rest of the NFSA membership, and the heirarchy, that it can better serve the interests of all sea anglers by following your approach, rather than some other.

Otherwise you end up in the situation where different groups end up saying different things to government, and everyone simply gets ignored, which very much suits those who would love to put the lid back on Recreational Sea Angling as a force to be reckoned with.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Leon,

Its only my opinion. You know its my opinion and you know how I have felt about NFSA since the day I joined this forum. It was one of the first points I made, They like DEFRA dont care a flying **** for us up here. Sorry if people find that hurtfull but it is my opinion and I am entitled to express it. But I am only 1 person. I guess its down to the people of the North east to decide if they want representing by this organisation. What I say or think is irrelevent here, its what the others think. Judging by the posts on the other forum I am not the only person around here disgruntled with the NFSA.