More Hurricanes - now Hanna is looming

Newt

I feel sorry for Cuba though. This looks like a second major hit in a bit over a week and this one might rake a long section of the island.

at200809_5day.gif

The path of the storm though looks to be going straight for the northern Cayos where I usually stay; at least it is not right at the epicentre. I wouldnt like to be in the Bahamas though.

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The path of the storm though looks to be going straight for the northern Cayos where I usually stay; at least it is not right at the epicentre. I wouldnt like to be in the Bahamas though.

Tony

Think Newt has posted a real time map which updates with each advisory - it was pointed straight at Cuba. Predictions more than 2/3 days out are usually made with very low confidence.

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

We have company due in Thursday - an angler from a few thousand miles away Having a hurricane pass over the lake would not only mess up the fishing but would make it hard to hang on to our gear..

If it's who I think it is, remind him of one night at Dungeness, with the winter sea breeze blowing.

As we left the car and walked over the storm ridge one January night, the wind literally blew him off his feet, and he took two steps in midair before coming down again (but he was a slim young man in those days :P )

We were OK coming back though, stones of cod to weigh us down......

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Vagabond - I will certainly do just that and I suspect it is who you think.

I haven't mentioned anything about it because he hadn't and I figured I would err on the side of caution in case he didn't want his mates to know he was slumming over here. :D

Hanna now looks very likely to miss us by enough that we won't see much weather from her but there is always Ike and what appear to be a couple more systems just leaving Africa that could well grow up into large nasties just like Ike.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Good luck with all that, Newt. I hope this system(s) evolve into a good soaker for the entire SE and eliminate the drought.

The remnants of Gustav have been passing over all day here, with lots of rain. I don't recall the last time that happened. Normally they turn east over the Ohio Valley and miss us.

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

We have yet to get much in the way of rain. Fay did some localized flooding (especially in our garage). I'm watching what happens in Richmond Saturday night since it's the 2nd most important Nascar race of the season.

It says put the link in your GE "places" folder ...

Where will I find that ? :D:D

Hang on .. Just found details on previous page :thumbs::thumbs:

Edited by MrWiggly

The Older I get .. The better I was.

Hanna now looks very likely to miss us by enough that we won't see much weather from her but there is always Ike and what appear to be a couple more systems just leaving Africa that could well grow up into large nasties just like Ike.

If it's any comfort, the weather here isn't up to much either Newt.

http://news.aol.co.uk/environment-news/atl...235706230198886

The UK will be deluged with yet more miserable weather as the first autumn storms of the year roll in from the Atlantic.

Heavy rain and gusting winds are expected, with forecasters predicting that some areas will suffer localised flooding.

South-west England and Wales will bear the brunt of Friday's storms with 50mm of rain and 50mph winds expected.

The latest instalment of awful weather follows one of the darkest, wettest Augusts on record.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

We have yet to get much in the way of rain. Fay did some localized flooding (especially in our garage). I'm watching what happens in Richmond Saturday night since it's the 2nd most important Nascar race of the season.

Getting wet now? Hannah came ashore on the NC/SC border - how far are you inland? Is the race still on?

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog