PBs

Anderoo

Guest Brumagem Phil

An interesting thread...

PB bream is 7 lb 12 oz from the severn which I reckon is fairly safe.

PB barbel again from the severn of 12 lb 4 oz also looks fairly safe.

PB pike is 13 lb 8 oz and is probably safe too

PB carp is 26 lb 8 oz but its the only 20 i've had so another couple of 20's would be nice....a 20 lb river carp from the severn would be my ultimate prize for the year!!

Never caught an eel, tench, perch or zander......be nice to at least get a score on the board for those four.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shame Bob cant put on AN's first ever Barra fish in! Or maybe more acurately if he did that we couldnt get there!

Wonder how much it is to charter a whole flight? :rolleyes:

Hmmm will have to start thinking about getting a few blokes with tinnies to ferry you lot around..... ;)

Hands up, all those interested........

1,2,3,4,5,6,......bugga, counted you twice, BUDGIE. :unsure::unsure:

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Thanks Bob but India kinda has my attention at the moment and I know that the venue that I fish can do a 50lb barra 'cause I know Europeans that have caught them to that size - then there are the Mahseer and giant catfish species.

If I ever make a return trip to Aus (I've been over 4 times already so why not), I'll definatly be picking your brains about barra venues.

Strangely enough though, I have a mate that's just got back from a trip that included north Qld and the NT. He bagged a fish or two independedntly but also booked a boat out of Shady Camp. 12 boats went out and only one fish got caught......Not good when two dozen people have paid through the nose to bag a barra !

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Thanks Bob but India kinda has my attention at the moment and I know that the venue that I fish can do a 50lb barra 'cause I know Europeans that have caught them to that size - then there are the Mahseer and giant catfish species.

If I ever make a return trip to Aus (I've been over 4 times already so why not), I'll definatly be picking your brains about barra venues.

Strangely enough though, I have a mate that's just got back from a trip that included north Qld and the NT. He bagged a fish or two independedntly but also booked a boat out of Shady Camp. 12 boats went out and only one fish got caught......Not good when two dozen people have paid through the nose to bag a barra !

Know exactly what you mean, mate. Had a trip there, myself and 8 of us got 3 barra in 3 days......Not like Kinchant, but. ;);) My son got 21 in a 6 hour session, only 2 were under the magic metre.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

For me my big gap is still a 2lb roach so if anyone out there can sort a big roach venue?

I would be up for that - have had lots of roach just under that weight, and even a 3-12 roach-rudd hybrid (thats a 1-14 roach and a 1-14 rudd all at once :lol: )

Have even netted a 2-4 roach for one of my fishing mates, but my own 2-pounder remains as elusive as ever.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I would love to beat my roach pb. Anyone who could help me do that would be a friend for life!

Another one I forgot about was catfish. Despite fishing a lake which has loads of them in, I only managed 1, and that was about 3lb! I've spent a fair amount of money (that I coudn't really afford - we all know that story) on cat gear and have yet to feel it was worth it. Now I've moved none of my club waters have them in, so I'll have to find some day ticket waters I suppose.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I reckon my best chances are:

Chub (4lb 8oz) - easy!

Barbel (5lb 8oz) - easy, hopefully!

Zander (6lb) - if I make a trip back to the fens, easy, surely!

How about you?

i have had at least 10 chub over that weight in the past few seasons from venues near you, trust me mate, if you fish the thames in the right way you could blow that personal best out of the water, no need to look further afield, they are there, in numbers too, mainly due to the signals.

i had a roach from a suprising venue a year back, i had no scales, so i put it ontop of two 3 pint drennan bait boxes, as a measure for size, its tail hung over the end of the bait box by over an inch, so that would have made it over 35cm, and not far off 40cm long, i think it was a 2 pounder easily.

Edited by david t

• 4 months later...
Having broken my perch pb at Wingham (twice!) my thoughts have turned to which others I have a decent chance of breaking this coming season. I reckon I'm overdue a carp pb (22lb), but I never really put enough effort into that one...maybe this year will be different. Perch (3lb 5oz) and tench (8lb 4oz) are pretty safe, as is roach (2lb 1.5oz). Although I catch a lot of pike, my pb's been stuck at 18lb for years and years - that's one I'd dearly love to beat.

I reckon my best chances are:

Chub (4lb 8oz) - easy!

Barbel (5lb 8oz) - easy, hopefully!

Zander (6lb) - if I make a trip back to the fens, easy, surely!

How about you?

Funny how things work out isn't it? I wrote this in May and the fish I thought I'd have no chance of beating are the ones which have either been actually or very nearly topped, while the ones I thought would be easy to improve are still unbeaten! (Not that I've been relentlessly chasing PBs all year either.) I love the unpredictability of fishing.

It's coming up to chub and pike time, so with luck there may still be some biggies to come this season, but with my forecasting skills who's to say :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Pike 15lbs probably beatable (but I don't know as I don't do much pike fishing)

Bream 10lb 10oz (never gonna beat that)

Chub 5lb 10oz (never gonna beat that)

Tench 9lb 4oz (I really want to beat this)

Perch 2lb 11.5oz (I really really want to beat this)

Barbel 10lb 11oz (I'd quite like to beat this)

Carp 22lb (not really fussed about carp)

I'm not sure how big my biggest roach is but its not bigger than 1.5lbs I'd kill to catch a 2lber.

Rich