Barbel Fish-in

seph

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm Zander, never caught one of those - what sort of gear do I need to bring <G>

Mat

Mat,

scaled down pike gear will do the trick. Just remember Zander are like Perch and do not like resistance.

Sea baits are no good either, I would try and catch some small roach or chub and use them. something in the 4-6" range are best and just single hook them.

Paul

Over on Dave Pugh's lurefishing website, there's a picture of a huge zed out of the Avon last weekend. Looks 15lb plus. In spite of the river authorities best efforts to eradicate them locally, they seem to have thrived. So it seems like an opportunity too good to miss and a decent barbel rod should do nicely.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Well Its getting very close to our little get-together and its time for me to start scratching my head. I usually fish one of three methods for barbel which are a large patch of pellets/hemp and fish a static bait over the top, a 'timebomb' method of fishmeal groundbait with small pellets in an open end feeder or a pva bag of pellets. As I have never fished the Avon before and I know it gets very clear this time of year I was just wondering what others were thinking.

Seph,

Any chance of a few pointers as you said you have been fishing down there a bit this season. What are they responding to? Are they responding at all, as I have had a few sessions on the Severn and the barbel are not showing there. Any advce would be very much appreciated

Thanks

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

Well Its getting very close to our little get-together and its time for me to start scratching my head. I usually fish one of three methods for barbel which are a large patch of pellets/hemp and fish a static bait over the top, a 'timebomb' method of fishmeal groundbait with small pellets in an open end feeder or a pva bag of pellets. As I have never fished the Avon before and I know it gets very clear this time of year I was just wondering what others were thinking.

Seph,

Any chance of a few pointers as you said you have been fishing down there a bit this season. What are they responding to? Are they responding at all, as I have had a few sessions on the Severn and the barbel are not showing there. Any advce would be very much appreciated

Thanks

Ant

You wont go too far wrong with what you have said above.

Good Luck

Sephs mate

atb

malc

You wont go too far wrong with what you have said above.

Good Luck

Sephs mate

Cheers malc,

What have you been catching the chub on?

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

Cheers malc,

What have you been catching the chub on?

Ant

As myself and Seph are Barbel anglers we class Chub as nuicence fish mainly because they will take almost every bait a Barbel will, hope that has answered your question. :)

atb

malc

Seph surely knows what he is doing!

We went out yesterday on the Teme... dismal conditions bright sunshine, v. low river..

I caught my first river Barbel (Woot!)

Seph caught five, all but the last in bright sunshine....

Thanks Paul...

Can't wait for the fish-in now!

Indeed Paul is a very good angler and i hope you learnt something from him. :)

You are hoooooked methinks. :blink:

Edited by MALC2

atb

malc

Ant,

nothing to add really, as what you have said will do the job. Fish have been coming out but it is not easy with the bright sunshine, low and clear river, evenings are best by far. If you want to go after the Chub I suggest caster and hemp, bring plenty though.

Matthew, glad you finally caught one. It was not the easiest of conditions to go Barbel fishing in, but you won't catch sitting at home. Thanks for the kind words.

Paul