Why are most anglers white?

big tinca

The part of America where Hoppy4 & I grew up is very different than the UK and you will commonly see anglers of various colors and sexes and ages fishing.

It may well be that having lots of water and no problems with what would be considered coarse fish as good table fare has something to do with that.

We had hoped that James could make it over for the Wingham fish-in but that didn't work out. He & I (and Budgie and a couple others) have been posting on the same forums since the late 90s and would all have enjoyed meeting. As it stands now, Hoppy & I will have to wait until he returns from Germany in late Fall so probably a Spring 2007 trip is in the cards.

Carl Douglas - I did not read this thread as anything other than a legit question about UK anglers seeing almost nothing other than white males on the bank enjoying the sport. This forum, for instance, has seen nearly 10K anglers join and at least 1K of them actively posting now. We have less than 10 active female members who fish (3 or 4 I think) and only a couple of men who are not white. Certainly not a plot (racist or sexist or otherwise) but simply a strange factiod.

Newt

I m sorry if my post offended, that was not the intention. I feel that we fight enough barriers as fishermen without introducing others. If one wants to fish that is enough, as should be in all aspects of life. Nothing else is important but personal freedom.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tigger
Newt

I m sorry if my post offended, that was not the intention. I feel that we fight enough barriers as fishermen without introducing others. If one wants to fish that is enough, as should be in all aspects of life. Nothing else is important but personal freedom.

:thumbs:

Guest Jan of the 2 Ghillies

Well, I am one of the few females on the forum that enjoys fishing. Who else would have enjoyed a 2 week holiday fishing in another country? I love being with Newt and fishing is important to him. Would I be fishing if Newt and I weren't together? Definitely not.

As Chris Goddard had noted in the thread about our Amble adventure, Newt and I obviously love each other, and our time together, and fishing is a great way to leave phones, kids, grandkids and other distractions behind and spend quality time together. Others look at it as a way to get away from their mates and all I can say is "to each their own".

Edited by Jan of the 2 Ghillies

I realy think it is as simple as Mr Nice says.The majority of "non white" English people as well as the majority of "white foriegners" live in urban areas where fishing amongst all young people isnt as popular due to it not being so easily acsessable.Urban areas also have far more other things to attract youngsters.

In the US I would have thought that to a certain extent this situation was reversed ie when black people first went (er were taken!) there it would have been mainly to rural areas.Therefore fishing would be just as much of their culture as any other colour of American!

As allready said angling in the US is a far wider thing than the UK (in fact in many countries) in that nearly everyone goes to some degree.Certainly more of a family thing than here.

I dont think its a racial descrimination thing or even a cultural difference at all.Just the way things have come about.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I am non white and I fish and shoot. However I was brought up on a UK farm with a river running through it!

African Negroes don't swim because their fat to body weight ratio is lower than Caucasians and they literally sink, whereas Caucasians float. Have you ever seen a successful Negro swimmer at the Olympics?

BTW I am roughly neutral buoyancy, which is ideal for swimming (and sub aqua diving).

Edited by Lid

For the las 10 year ive been fishing ive only ever seen one black guy fishing once in all 10

YEARS!!!

Why is fishing mainly a white hobby???

What is the ratio of white folk to non white folk in the UK? I have to say that I neither know nor care, but, obviously, there will be more white anglers than non whites!

I'm not convinced that it is a 'colour' issue, more a cultural thing. My other interests include sailing and photography, I don't see many non whites doing either of those two things either!

In my neck of the woods we have a large Anglo-Greek community, non of which I have ever seen fish or sail. Same colour as me!

What is the ratio of white folk to non white folk in the UK?

If memory serves, the national figure is about 9% but obviously, the demographic changes markedly depending on where you happen to look.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Have you ever seen a successful Negro swimmer at the Olympics?

Anthony Nesty from Surinam. He won a Gold for the butterfly at Seoul and then a bronze four years later in Barcelona. He didn't appear to suffer with any sinking problems. And wasn't there a black Dutch woman who'd got a Gold a few years before as well?

Newt

Carl - it did not offend at all and I completely agree with you.
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Anthony Nesty from Surinam. He won a Gold for the butterfly at Seoul and then a bronze four years later in Barcelona. He didn't appear to suffer with any sinking problems. And wasn't there a black Dutch woman who'd got a Gold a few years before as well?

I guess there are always exceptions, but as far as I am aware it is scientific fact. It might explain why for instance, many Negro Caribbeans positively dislike swimming, despite being surrounded by one of the world's most beautiful seas.