What is a "swim"

Sportsman

All,

Where it "matters" a "swim" is 15 ft either side of your "peg" and extends straight out half the distance to the other bank. Rarely does it matter. A few carp tournaments and in Southern Paylakes it can become an issue. Fish on has always been an "issue" but in paylakes you better keep your fish in your swim.

Phone

Swim is the water you are fishing. And the peg is the bank space you are occupying. Easy on lakes - harder on running water!

I'd completely agree with you on that Matthew, but ......... :)

Us anglers have made hard work of it. It now seems common to call a peg a swim. A peg could have more than one swim for me, but pole anglers now seem to have lines ("I fished tight to the far bank, but baited an inside line as well"? :crazy: ).

Maybe the most broken law, but on running water I think the law says you can fish to the middle of the river and who ever has the other side can fish to the middle from their side (Might end in a fight if your club has both sides).

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Sportsman,

You should know by now - fly fishermen are like sail boats. They have full right-of-way and unrestricted access over rod and reel or pole fishermen, They do have some sort of unwritten code between each other.

Phone

Edit: they, fly fishermen, are only slightly better than a guy with a throw net gathering bait fish.

Edited by Phone

We have rules defining just what a swim is depending on the nearness or position of the anglers ,pretty complicated and unnecessary in the main

The yanks have a class system generally if you can prove your family came over with a load of religious zelots ffrom england your top of the pile ,if you speak anything else than english or speak a type of english and live in a caravan your bottom of the pile ,the rest do as their told by those above and blame those below ,pretty well the same as everywhere else in the west

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 2

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Phone - you have our class system there too?

Do you think that 'our' or any other class system can be superimposed upon angling?

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

'Swim'' is one of those words I learned about coarse fishing when I first moved away from this area as a teenager. We just didn't use it, I suppose the nearest thing to it was a 'beat', a salmon fishing term used to describe a stretch of river. (usually much longer than a static fishing peg)'' Peg' was another one, all it meant to me once was something to hold a tent down with or hang ones washing with.

Now although rarely if ever using the words I undestand 'swim' to be the water I am fishing, and 'peg' as the bit of riverbank or lake shore from which I am fishing.

How about boat fishing, which makes up a good percentage of my angling. is thr peg in the boat and the swim the water all around it?

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"