First Fish of the New Season

BoozleBear

:clap2: The river Wyre controlled by Warrington Anglers.

Been back today for the pike but they were not having it. Loads of follows(I was lure fishing) But they just would not strike. Will try again with wobbled dead baits.

Tradman. <_<

Edited by tradman

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done to all of you who had a successful start to the season. My start unfortunately was not as good and I managed to blank :( . Great to be out by the river again though.

. :thumbs: Hi all I returned to the river today thinking things may be harder after the weekend onslaught but how wrong can you be. Fishing a new swim, classic Mr Crabtree I could not believe It could happen again. From one small river and even smaller swim I caught 14 Chub all in the 3lb to 4lb range. Tactics was alternating between freelined bread and cubes of meet. I must have caught every fish in the swim.

The pike however where taking the micky, following my lures kissing them and throwing them back. They must have heard of Rex Hunt.

Tradman.

(Centepins are for the few)

Edited by tradman

Great roach Anderoo.Ive never had a two pounder so it would have definately made my season to!

Great Chub as well....also all bigger than my PB! Hmmm im a pretty crap specimen hunter it seems!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

On Friday, Saturday and Sunday, the Severn had compensation water in it and was noticably coloured and colder than it should have been.

Fishing was slow and whilst I caught a few chub and perch, it wasn't exactly the sort of sport that drags people to the river from all over the country.

The lads after the barbel had a few fish but again, they wern't really on the chew.

Monday came and the river was clearer, fractionally lower and definatly a little warmer and whilst sport wasn't exactly rapid fore, I caught chub perch and small pike consistently through the day and had perhaps three dozen chub averaging a couple of pounds, a couple of dozen perch that were mostly small (but included fish to a pound and a half) and half a dozen jacks to almost 5lb in a 4 hour session. I also lost a cracking trout of about 2lb at my hand.

What wass a little odd was that a few of my fast and shallow banker chub pegs held flashing barbel but I couldn't get a hit from the chub.

Yesterday, I had a short morning session and it really didn't fire up. Maybe the cool night had put fish down. I did catch a few fish but the takes from the chub were slow and lacking the agression that they should have in June. On the positive side, I did bag two nice trout of about a pound and a pound and a half (both returned) but sadly, june is about the only time of the year when you can expect to catch these lovely fish with any regularity because people who catch them do tend to take them.

The barbel were again on the shallow gravel runs and there were definate light patches on the bottom so perhaps they were spawning late this year after the raised river levels in late May.

One thing that was nice to see was more Streamer weed in the river. Lets hope that it continues to recover.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Well the bad news is Ive still not been but the good news is that Im going to pick up a couple of pints of maggot in a bit and the hemps simmering away for my Medway session tommorow! Im realy looking forward to it! Even managed to get my "apointment"with the solicitor (he fishs to!) moved to early morning so will be able to have most of the day and evening.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!