Braid. Is it just me that hates the stuff?

john frum

Steve Coppolo:

Hi Davy

If you fished uptide in 300 ft of water, that was some casting mate!  300 yards, and from a boat too!  

Who looks stupid Davy?

No disrespect mate, you are only stating what you believe is right, but I would stick to catching your pet Skate if I were you and leave the uptiding to those of us who know how it's done properly.

Steve.. can I get a pint of what your on???

who was casting 300 yrds???

Oh and just what experience have you got in fishing deep water to be able to say something doesn't work :P

Steve stick to playing in the shallows and leave the deep water to the grown ups :)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its all getting a bit personal now, Steve was, if I am right, just voicing his opinion on the validity of the use of the term uptiding, its not possible in 300ft of water. Yes you can cast uptide in any depth of water but your not uptiding.

Regards Ryan.

Steve, here is something you may find interesting...

For all the smaller species, like the doggies, spurrdog and rays, out of Oban, and LochEtive in particular, a 'cabin' draw is the Hotspot on a charter boat or in matches. It seems the uptide positions always take the best amount of fish, and usualy get the first pickings of whats around!

I have never had this draw before, but one time fishing a match at Etive i was second peg down from the cabin, and i ended up doing very well indeed by whacking my bait as far up the tide beyond the boat and angler to my right as possible, where as i caught near enough sod-all lowering it strieght down.

Likewise those on the downtide positions didnt do as well. This happins regularly in the area, in depths well in excess of 300 ft. Something to think about...

Regards

Shaun

Tight Lines

Shaun

Guest stevie cop

Agreed Davy. I have absolutley no idea about fishing in 300 ft of water.

I do however have a hell of a lot of experience of uptide fishing. Enough experience to tell you that whatever you want to call what you were doing, it wasn't uptiding! It's impossible in that depth of water, especially with any tide running. Which brings us full circle. That was my my first comment if I remember rightly.

I'll gladly leave the deep water fishing to the grown ups Davy. Do you know any? ;o)

And yes, you can have a pint of what I'm on as long as you buy us both one! ;o)

Seriously though. Way back on page one, I was only trying to help someone who asked a legitimate question. Whatever your views Davy, I do know what I'm on about when it comes to uptiding. People posting what they believe to be right can be helpful sometimes, but on this occasion it just confused the real issue and gave misleading information to the person asking the question. I know your intentions were honourable, but on this occasion you were wrong mate. No shame in that, but not admitting it is another matter. I woudn't dream of trying to contradict you on anything to do with deep water fishing, or skate, etc, because I simply don't have the experience or knowhow. To pretend I did would be misleading.

As I've said before Davy, to fish uptide effectively, or "properly", you have to cast at least 3 times the depth of water you are fishing in. That's fine in the 5 to 60 ft of water that we normally fish in down here, and would be workable in up to 100ft I would imagine, but impossible in 300 ft of water. I think what you were probably doing was down tide fishing with a light weight, and with a cast involved! If it makes you happy mate, you can call it uptiding if you like, but only this once! O.K?

Erm Ryan.. you are casting uptide with a weight that would not normally hold bottom and using the belly of the line to ensure the weight holds bottom.

Now if I was fishing in 10' of water I could say I was up tiding but because I was doing the exact same on 400' I cant call it up tiding :confused: :confused: :confused:

Granted that there was absolutely no benefit in doing what I did other than to be able to say yes you can uptide in over 120' of water.

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"