Fry Jumping

The Flying Tench

I was checking out a new lake today. Seems to attract dads with youngsters catching loads of small roach plus some easy carp. I just fished for an hour near some reeds at the end of the lake, and there were quite a number of 2-3" roach jumping out of the water (well, maybe 10 in the hour). It would be interesting if this meant there were some decent perch.

I guess there's no way to be certain without asking them, but has anyone acquired any knowledge on this? Is it a fairly certain sign of a predator, or are there other reasons small fish jump out?

john clarke

either perch...or carp!

i watched a very very big mirror(25-30+) fry feeding on a river the weekend,it was chraging through a lily pad,into shallows around a foot or two deep,back out of teh water,swirling at the tiny fry,i did notice a few chub around 2-3inches that were in teh same area but i didnt see the carp actaully take them but he was definetly having a munch on the "pin" fry.

very intresting to watch,never seen carp behave that predatory before.

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

either perch...or carp!

very intresting to watch,never seen carp behave that predatory before.

I witnessed a carp of about 8lb taken on a 4 inch roach livebait intended for cats a few years ago, it was a screaming run, and hooked well down inside the mouth, so it obviously meant it!

Mat

Mat

not always ,i was watching some today in gin clear water and suddenly they jumped in all directions a large crow had passed overhead,i expect they also spook themselves for other reasons as well ,better to jump about at the shake of a branch than get eaten .

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

i agree about it possibly being the carp remember fishing some matches a few yrs ago on a obscure pond full of carp from 3lb to 20lb and at the weigh in my net was full of half digested carp fry(the only fish in the lake)

Fry will jump out of the water if they think they're under threat from all sorts of things, real or imaginary. This of course includes being attacked by perch. Sometimes a shower of fry will erupt, and this is often put down to perch. Unless you can see the perch though you can never be certain, and there are a lot of other possibilities.

However, if you see a single small fish skipping repeatedly out of the water, often at speed, it's odds on that it's being chased by a perch. Pike rarely do so, but perch will single out one victim and chase it for quite a way, often repeatedly nipping at its tail to slow it down. Then one big suck and it's all over!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net