Your Drean fishing holliday.

Ken L

Hi Matt, sounds like you have two passions, the Kodakan has to be high on my list of places to visit too.

As far as fishing is concerned, there’s loads of places I’d like to visit but I’d love to go back to lake Kariba in Zimbabwe and have another go at the tigerfish, mozzies or catfish. It’s a beautiful place to fish and with game reserves along it’s banks, if the fishing is slow just sit back and watch the wildlife.

Lol yeah, I thought you might be a Judoka when I saw the username ;-)

I don't actually train anymore, packed in about 10 years ago, but recently my oldest boy has taken up Judo, and I'm finding myself spending a lot of time hanging around Judo clubs again, and I'm kinda getting itchy watching them !

Mat

Mat

Your Drean fishing holliday., Where would you go and what would you target ?

I already go there The Jardines del Rey, in Cuba, Big Tarpon, Marlin, Cubera Snapper, Permit, Bonefish and the rest. possibly one of the finest fishing venues in the world only let down by the general inexperience of the guides in new fishing methods and their lack of tackle. On the positive side apart from the great fishing the area is stunning and reasonably cheap to get there on a holiday package

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

only let down by the general inexperience of the guides in new fishing methods and their lack of tackle.

Isn't that why you can afford to go ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Isn't that why you can afford to go ?

Not really the area really caters for the sun worshipper all inclusive holiday type the fishing is a bonus, the guiding is a very recent development of the last few years. The area has only had hotels since 1992 so there is no strong local fishing tradition apart from hand lining off the local bridges.

With regard to gear this is more of a result of the US trade embargo on Cuba in general rather than a cost reducing factor. If the Cubans could get the gear they would have it, instead they are forced to rely on gear being given to them as gifts by visiting anglers.

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Some thing Im often asked and to be truthfull something I struggle to answer! Been lucky enough to do most of the usual things and some pretty unusual one as well!

Carp wise-Nothing at all really!

Cat wise-Maybe Iran/Iraq once things calm down (if ever) and theyve not dynamited them all to eat.

Pike wise-dont know maybe back to Czechoslovakia and a go at a water I know there which has done some big fish.Once again if there are still any left alive.

Big Game-No nothing there now either.Despite agreeing with and understanding the need for a more eco/fish friendly system the "boat assisted play" has killed this for me.I like to go fishing,hook,play and land my fish not just be a reel handle turner!

Big Sharks-I jusyt find these incredibly boring! no skill in hooking and the fight is relatively dull and I soon wish it was all over.More or less the same be it beach or boat.A must do once experience but not to many times!

Game fish wise-Never been to any of the top salmon rivers in Norway so would like that.But that said I would also like a "good" week on a "good" Scottish river beat at the right time of year.All of my salmon fishing (for large ,fresh fish on the fly at least) has suffered due to financial restraints.Sea trout in South America run both huge and plentyfull but I think the constant wind would get on my tits!

Sturgeon-Only ones Ive ever caught were unintentionally whilst catting in Russia.Great fight but dont know if I would bother going over to BC specificly for them though.Just dont float my boat.

Exotic?- Maybe Aripaima or Mekong cat fish but theyve never really captured my imagination enough to put in the effort to go.I suppose exotic wise and most likely realistic dream trip to would be a salt water/brakish water fly fishing/lure fishing holiday.Only out for a few hours in the early morning and evening rest of time spent in a nice hotel/accomodation relaxing.Size/species of fish imaterial but preferably not the ones Ive caught lots of before, just ones willing to pull your string on artificials.A bit like you see good ole Rexy doing in Papua New Guinea maybe?I dont know! Be nice if some one could inspire me!

Then again a nice long trip to Australia,it would have to be long to try all it has to offer fishing wise and a country/continent Ive never been to.

But then again all in all I think I would probably agree with Anderoo.If I get to fish Wingham next year it will most likely be my last "big" UK campaign and cant think of a nicer place to do it.......any where in the world.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Some thing Im often asked and to be truthfull something I struggle to answer! Been lucky enough to do most of the usual things and some pretty unusual one as well!

Big Game-No nothing there now either.Despite agreeing with and understanding the need for a more eco/fish friendly system the "boat assisted play" has killed this for me.I like to go fishing,hook,play and land my fish not just be a reel handle turner!

Big Sharks-I jusyt find these incredibly boring! no skill in hooking and the fight is relatively dull and I soon wish it was all over.More or less the same be it beach or boat.A must do once experience but not to many times!

How about the mako and porbeagles for high flying???

Game fish wise-Never been to any of the top salmon rivers in Norway so would like that.But that said I would also like a "good" week on a "good" Scottish river beat at the right time of year.All of my salmon fishing (for large ,fresh fish on the fly at least) has suffered due to financial restraints.Sea trout in South America run both huge and plentyfull but I think the constant wind would get on my tits!

Sturgeon-Only ones Ive ever caught were unintentionally whilst catting in Russia.Great fight but dont know if I would bother going over to BC specificly for them though.Just dont float my boat.

.A bit like you see good ole Rexy doing in Papua New Guinea maybe?I dont know! Be nice if some one could inspire me!

The papuan black bass is one of the most sought after freshies in the world.

Then again a nice long trip to Australia,it would have to be long to try all it has to offer fishing wise and a country/continent Ive never been to.

We might shoot you....then again, a waste of a bullet; more better we let you get a snake bite, hey?? ;)

But then again all in all I think I would probably agree with Anderoo.If I get to fish Wingham next year it will most likely be my last "big" UK campaign and cant think of a nicer place to do it.......any where in the world.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

i would love to go and fish for barracuda, and i would like to fish the river lode in sweden,this place is magic,huge pike run up it to spawn,fish to 40+!

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!