Eel Traps

Elton

Posted on behalf of a site visitor - please add reponses to this thread:

are eel traps legal in the river medway??

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the definative answer to the question the best place to ring would be the locl Environment Agency office who will be able to advise him on up to date local current by laws relevant to the Medway.

Due to the precarious state of eel syocks in this country, if someone is wanting to obtain an eel licence then I would think they'll be out of luck but if someone has found some eel traps the likelyhood is high that they're illegal

If someone has found eel traps and they are legal they will be carrying a tag with the EA licence number on it. If there is no tag then they are by definition illegal, may be removed and should be reported to the EA with a location for where they were found. Any fish trapped in them shoul dbe released back to the water.

The last set of illegal nets I found was in Huntingdon and they contained bream, carp and tench as well as a few eels.

If the enquirer want to trap/net eels he/she must apply to the EA for a licence. Under present regulations they cannot refuse to issue one!!

However trapping eels, given the present state of stocks, is not environmentally sound. to say the least.

Mike

Join the SAA today for only £10.00 and help defend angling.

If they are in the upper Medway (above the sluice at Allington), then a chat is needed with the EA.

If they are in the Estuary, then that is a 'private fishery' (pre Magna Carta), run by a guild, and all commercial fishing can only be carried out by members of the guild (an EA eel licence would still be required though)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

So, basically, if they are in the Medway and prove to be "dodgy", pull them out, empty them and then throw them in a skip. You could also jump up and down on them, burn them or otherwise destroy them. If the owner turns up, you could also help him/her carry them home, by inserting them into some part of their anatomy, which would not affect their ability to get a single seat ticket on the bus (or probably standing).

However, if you are enquiring as to their legality, so that you may place some yourself, send me a PM, we could meet up, so that I may help you carry them home about your person, by inserting, as above.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

Would it be fair to say then that Hugh Fearnley-Verylongname is guilty and needs an eel-trap shoved up his arse?

I cant understand why posts are put on here on behalf of a visitor why dont they just sign up and log in them selves. after all we all did at some point.????????????????

Always seems very dodgy to me.

Tony B.T Jolley

I cant understand why posts are put on here on behalf of a visitor why dont they just sign up and log in them selves. after all we all did at some point.????????????????

Always seems very dodgy to me.

I wondered about that some time ago; if you look on the main page or whatever it's called (here) there's an option to "ask the forum", it's near the bottom of the menu on the left, so presumably these questions come from there, I don't think there's anything sinister in it, just another option. :mellow:

I don't like Eel traps, because eels are currently under threat from disease, parasitical infestation, poor water quality and not least commercial fishing, I have no grounds for suggesting the removal of traps, when licensed, from any LEGAL location, other than by the trappers personal concience. Hopefully, the issuance of required licences, is on the decline.

HFW, trapped the eels, from a section of the waterway, where he was legally entitled to do so. The situation described previously, was a suspected illegal trapping situation.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

HFW, trapped the eels, from a section of the waterway, where he was legally entitled to do so.

And, of course, if the only fishing pressure that eels had to contend with came from a few individuals taking the odd fish for the pot, eels would be in a much better position than they are now. Commercial elver fishing is the real concern, IMO.