shark for sale £1.60 -- £2.10 per kilo

hembo

this was on teletext and has not been updated on the bbc or itv websites . so this is the report.

a fisherman has caught more than 100 sharks in the space of a week in waters just 20 miles off cornwall. martin ellis from ruan minor in cornwall landed 65 porbeagles in a single trip. the 49 yr old said he and a crewmate attached 300 mackerel baits on hooks along a six mile long fishing line . they were sold at 1.60- 2.10 per kilo. he is qouted as saying that the sea is full of feed fish ; attracting bigger fish which in turn attract shark more boats should follow long line fishing !!!!

need i say anymore

[ 01. December 2003, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: hembo ]

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith

Hembo!!

I suggest you look at some of `Rick Steins` cookery videos?

There wasn`t a market for shark meat before that [edited] decided to turn Padstow into a gourmet centre.

:mad: :mad: Paul. :mad: :mad:

[sorry Spasor, but for the sake of keeping things legal....]

[ 02. December 2003, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: John S ]

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

the next time he goes and doesnt catch will he have 600 mackerel baits and 12 mile long line ?

spasor as for rick (franken ) stein he has cult status ;and i suppose eating endangered fish is a by product of a affluent society . you only need to look at the fish dept in supermarkets to see what a wide range of fish are at our disposal .and i suppose they are only reacting to what the market demands . what do you do boycott tescos etc

John Kenneth Galbraith

Hembo.

My local Tesco`s a super-store ( old Hoover building on the A40 W.London).

The fish dept` are always asking me to supply fresh fish for them. They give me sacks full of salmon carcasses( great for fish cakes) for a few pence. When they heard about my last trip with Davy, they asked what I did with 1,300lb of prime skate? I stated that they all went back. The deli manager was aghast. `Paul. You`ve just thrown nearly £3,000 away`, he stated.

My reply? "Davy Holt would rescind my permanent invite to fish for skate with him". Some things are more precious than money.

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Mr Ellis: "They are really nice to eat and taste a bit like swordfish. They're delicious."

And forgot to mention that they are full off heavy metals - If we are to fight this type of behaviour then this may well be the point that puts the Great British public off the idea of eating shark?

Ideas?

how about shark revenge the ultimate reality show ; take ten celebrity t.v chefs and whisk them off to a shark infested sea . the general public vote which one gets thrown in . seriously though with the power t.v chefs have to influence the market is quite frightening perhaps petitioning them direct; anglers net have 4000 plus members and if we directed our energies who knows maybe in the form of a e -petition . we could perhaps make them more aware.

John Kenneth Galbraith