shark for sale £1.60 -- £2.10 per kilo

hembo

The guy was on the news tonight - said he'd been looking for a mark where he could catch lots of sharks for a couple of years and now he's found it, intends fishing there while there's fish to catch.

There's no hope if the commercials take this approach!

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the blokes got no sense ,cut the fins off ,chuck the rubbish back and sent them to the far east he`l be retiring in a couple of years :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The report showed the fish being boxed 'whole' for export to mainland Europe!

He made a profit of £7000 on the fish he caught last week apparently.

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

Hello folks.

I heard an interview on Five Live this afternoon with the said skipper and a spokesman for some shark conservation group. They got on well.

The shark conservationist had no qualms about the skippers activities. But just hinted at the size of the catch?

So there you go. It`s alright to catch and kill hundreds of shark per week! Official???

The shark lover did mention that porbeagle sharks were an `endangered species`. Which puzzled me a tad. Since when has it been OK to slaughter and endangerd species? He mentioned the collapse of the porbeagle fishery in the Shetlands in 1987. The skipper agreed.

OK, friendly persuasion is the best first move? But how many other skippers have been trailing this guy. Just waiting to make a killing on the `exotic` fish market.

:mad: :mad: Paul. :mad: :mad:

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

what exactly has rick stein done wrong? he may have made cooking with fish more popular, and yes padstow is now more like padstein, but as a business man, a chef or a hotelier you cant fault him.

spasor, do you really think nobody eat shark until rick said it was cool? you're very naieve if you do, all sea fish (and a lot of coarse fish) have been staple food for ever and ever and ever, thats the way the world works.

rick stein makes a point of buying fish from local boats and anglers, i really cant see why you have a problem with him, if you were going to have a go at anyone it should be the supermarkets, continually getting suppliers to undercut each other until food safety, quality and everything else give way to the all important factor.... price

jeepster?

I don`t believe your real!!! 20yrs ago before Rick et al decided Cornwall was a cool place to spend the summer. Locals could afford to buy a house.

Of course I`ve nothing against the guy buying local produce. But since he`s become a `Celebrity chef`, his thoughts on menu`s have done more harm than good. Since when was shark meat thought delicious? Even the Chinese only consider the fins worth eating.

My arguement is. Rick Stein says shark meat is lovely. Suddenly we have the commercial lads slaughtering them because `Rick` has made a market for us!!

I just hope he doesn`t find a recipe for `Greater crested Newts`!!! Because that will lead to another posting?

:rolleyes: Paul. :rolleyes:

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

house prices have risen massively all over the country, not just cornwall, the locals in padstow benefit from all the tourists coming to spend their city pounds, business is booming, not just stein related places. you live in london whos fault is it that locals can't afford to buy a place there now? nigel slaters?

and i repeat, shark (and most other sea fish) have been eaten for centuries, not just since rick stein decided to make it popular.

the commercial lads would be out selling their daughters if they thought they'd get a decent price per kilo, so don't single out one person for the current problems with fish stocks, some people will always try to exploit the market for their own gain.

[ 04. December 2003, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: jeepster ]

i bet he will be the first to moan in a few years time when there will be bugger all to catch . to some of us this is a big issue ; to him he could end up selling the big issue .you cannot say that he is farming the sea .

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith